Thread: Any opinions on Sears Variable Speed Bench Grinder

Blog Entries

Any opinions on Sears Variable Speed Bench Grinder

I was at Sears yesterday picking up a few items and came across their 8" variable speed bench grinder (1725-3450 RPM) - model #OR15106. In person, it seemed like a pretty decent unit and would make a nice replacement for the 40+ year old 6" grinder from my Grandpa's basement, especially for $99.

The reason it appealed to me is that I was looking to purchase seperate hi and low speed grinders, but this would give me the best of both worlds and take up less room than 2 seperate grinders.

Any opinions on this grinder or recommendations on any other grinder in the $100 price range would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting - I looked it up and it says "1725-3450 RPM".

I have a feeling that means 2 speeds by switching between 2 and 4 pole operation, but that's still quite useful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz
    Interesting - I looked it up and it says "1725-3450 RPM".

I have a feeling that means 2 speeds by switching between 2 and 4 pole operation, but that's still quite useful.
    When I was in the store, it looks like its truely variable speed - not 2 speed. There is a dial on the front that looks like it gives you the ability to dial in a specifc speed.

Here is the link:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

I bought a craftsman 8 inch VS grinder at Cristmas. Mine is model #152.211620 and is variable speed by turning a knob at the switch. Mine came with a 60 grit gray wheel and a wire brush. I would have rather have had a fine stone than the brush but that is something I can change. I have been needing to up grade from the weak 6 inch grinder I have had for the last 15 years and have not seen many 8 inch grinders much cheaper so I guess I would recommend it. Anyone know what company the 152 source code stands for?
    Cannon

I don't have any opinion about the VS grinder, but I have owned a craftsman 'professional' 8" grinder for a few years, and it has been excellent value for the money. Right after buying it, I replaced the coarse wheel with an 80g aluminium oxide wheel from lee valley and gotten great results from that as well. There aren't a whole lot of craftsman tools that I'd buy, but the grinder has held up well, and their shop vacs are pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Cannon
    Anyone know what company the 152 source code stands for?
    Cannon
    Orion International

I was given a similar 6" machine about 8 years ago. I primarily use it for sharpening turning tools. It is truely variable speed and it has worked fine for me. The tool rests are not high precison and I intend to replace them someday but that is probably true for most grinders.

Interesting, I wonder how they do the VS.

Looks pretty nice except for the flimsy inner wheel guard supporting the tool rests and the rests themselves.

I guess the thing to do is bypass it by bolting the grinder and a better tool rest to a table.