Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw alternative?

I used Steve's method: bow-saw, split, and trim a bit. It was enough to make me buy a chainsaw. My only regret was not getting a better chainsaw!

I still use the bow saw on smaller pieces where it takes less time than finding the chainsaw, oil, gas, etc..
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

I'm also in favor of riving/spitting the log in lieu of ripping. There is absolutely no reason why a turning blank needs to be perfect when you mount it on the lathe. In fact, it's often better to work it around between centers, anyway, to get the best effect!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason, you'll be ok...when I looked to see where you are from, I realized that trees where you are are somewhat different than, let's say, the Pacific Northwest. I do have a question having lived in Kansas a number of years. Do they even have trees in Nebraska? Just Kidding! Sheesh, these guys are so technical!
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 01-08-2007 at 9:56 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

The best part is you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars a year to get your exercise at a gym. It makes me think what it must have been like back in the day go to work, make your money & get your exercise & you don't have to spend extra time working out at the end of the day. Of course that's easy for me to say, cuz I have a desk job. I bet there are people in construction thinking I should go jump off a bridge.

A reciprocating saw with a long aggressive wood blade would make light work of your project. Much cheaper than buying a chainsaw. I have a large Stihl a small Craftsman and a Skill recip. The recip gets used more than the other 2 combined for felling limbs and such. I have cut many 6-8" logs with no problem.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Good for your Jason,
    Go for it.
    With many small projects by the time it takes to get power tools set up, I'm done with my neander tools.
    That being said.
    "I'm not giving up my Stihl
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

This message has been deleted by, me, the poster. Shortly after posting it I found the answer myself, leaving the question up here would only serve to prove that I am an idiot. I prefer to hide that for as long as I can!
    Last edited by Jason Christenson; 01-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

ANDY!
    this is getting out of hand...
    Hurry and get back to us!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    ANDY!
    this is getting out of hand...
    Hurry and get back to us!
    ??????????
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

You didn't mention if you have a bandsaw. If your intended blank is under 12" and you have a riser block on a bandsaw, you can do some of your cutting there.
    Here's a link to a picture of a sled to give you an idea:
    http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ain/index.html
    Here's another for crosscut:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/s...g_log_ends.jpg
    Both these links, and many more, may be found on google under keywords - bandsaw log sled.
    Bandsaws are great for cutting out your blank into a cylinder before turning, saving much turning time. If I had to make a choice between buying a bandsaw and chainsaw, I'd buy the bandsaw first.
    I have crosscut and split logs as well. All that said, I'm in the market for a chainsaw now!

Ok ok the neanderthal forum is on the right two doors down...... , If Jason wants to do it by hand say " GOOD NITE GEORGE" what were you thinking???Any saw will cut anything .... but will you beable to move when you get done? You might consider gathering your logs and renting a small chain saw and use the antique for fun when you not in a hurry and are feeling especally burly....I used these as a young idiot in North Idaho doing right of way, stream clearance and thinning for forage area in the Panhandle and is not , repeat NOT first or second choice of tools to use for wood, logs , boards, stuff ...well maybe stuff....I have cut 100's of cords of fire wood with two man and single cross cut , make sure to have some sort of lub , turpintine or water to sprinkle the saw blade/log as it will drag in a hurry , we did it in 3's, two men sawiing , one with the lube and changing the log / stacking , then rotate every cord. Good luck and remember to remember what it is like so's you can brag to the grandkids some day...
    John 3:16