Thread: Refinish Black Table with Shellac

Refinish Black Table with Shellac

I am a lurker on the Sawmill Creek forum (actually I am a member but have not contributed as I am a hobby woodworker with more to learn than contribute). I did see a post by JayStPeter from last April regarding Black Shellac. My question is related.

I have an end table top to refinish that is black and the original finish is shellac (alcohol dissolves the finish). I would like to use shellac to refinish and maintain the black color. I do have a supply of "blond" shellac flakes. Can I add a tint that will result in a black or should I obtain darker shellac and use that for the finish. I intend to apply several coats using spray equipment.

An Interesting Question

Warren, I don't have an answer to your question, but have one of my own: How would shellac tinted with Trans-Tint black dye work? I know Trans=Tint works with shellac - I've used it - But wonder how opaque one could get it. I'd be glad for any opinions.

Oh,and wewlcome to the creek, Warren. Swimming in the Creek is not limited to those with answers; people with questions are also welcome. Else, I'd not have all these posts to my name.
    Last edited by Carl Eyman; 01-10-2007 at 1:46 PM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I don't have an answer for you, but did you know that the old 78 rpm phonograph records were actually made from black shellac?

Perhaps, if you can find an old broken one, you could dissolve it in alcohol and end up with the black shellac you need.

On a more serious note, I'd call or email Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing and ask for his recommendations. He sells shellac flakes, and ThansTint dyes, as well as other products, and can almost surely answer your question.

black shellac

Hi all,

I've used black shellac that I got mixed at the paint store. Worked really well. Looks like glosss enamel paint. An old paint store man turned me on to it. He just mixed black in with the shellac. I don't know how much pigment he used. Might take several coats because it's thinner than black enamel.

Harry

Alcohol soluable dye would likely work since alcohol is the base solvent for shellac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

just remember to use no more than 1 ouce of trans tint liquid dye per quart of shellac.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the help

Thanks to all who replied for the help and advice.

Warren

Well, I going to hijack this thread a bit, a friend of my wants an entertainment center finished in black but still wants to see the wood grain under the finish. would this "black shellac" work for such an application? if not what other choices to I have. Sorry I'm really new to the woodworking and I have not even use normal shellac. I do have a spray, wagner hvlp conversion gun it that helps. Also Jim, I noticed you had one, does it hurt to remove the packaging nut to clean or do I need to leave it alone? Thanks.

Brian

Brian,

Use a black stain such as dye, oil or water base. Then clear coat with the appropriate finish. Laquer is standard and I've moved to Oxford water base with great results.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Thanks Neil, I was thinking about trying the dye method but then it gets into water versus alcohol solution. If I was planning on using a water base finish do I need to use the alcohol solution so the water based finished does not mess up the dye?

Brian

Well yes but only if you go straight to finish coats after dye. I like using shellac as a sealer coat on most projects. Stain the project. Apply a simple 1 lb cut of shellac then go on with your water based top coat. It will work out fine. Try it on a scrap first if you have doubts or concerns.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

thanks, I'll give that a try.