Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here it is, my 3rd segmented bowl

Bill, you asked about "gluing" bocote. It's quite an oily wood, not as bad as some of the rosewoods and certainly not as bad as teak, but nevertheless a cause for concern when gluing. Some people advocate wiping the glue surfaces with solvents, acetone, brake fluid, etc. I think lab tests have shown that it doesn't make much difference. A tip that I picked up many years ago, which sort of makes sense is - DON'T WAIT. Glue your end-grain to end-grain joints soon after cutting or sanding. Extractives will eventually seep out of the wood and affect the glue joint strength. Sometimes I have to wait hours, but I don't let oily wood segments sit overnight before gluing them. Good luck with your project.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. All the compliments in its self motivates me to do more. Typically when I cut my segments I sand and glue them up right away so I guess I'm on the right track. This vessel was quite a challenge. Seam ailgnment was much more difficult than the last one. Everyone is a learning experience along with the challenge of not only building it but deciding the look as well. By the time I'm done I see things that I feel I should have done different. Oh well I guess thats what the next one is for. I'll keep posting the build of them if everyone is ok with that. Thanks again everyone.

Blog Entries
    I was'nt quite happy with the finsh so I'm going to give it some more elbo grease. I'll put up another pic when I'm happy with it.

Bill,
    It is quite obvious that you have a great amount of skill when it comes to cutting and assembling segmened turnings, as well as great skill in designing patterns that are appealing. I've never tried segmented turning and I have to say that you are making it look very, very appealing to me.

I do want to offer one bit of feedback which I mean only to be for your own benefit as you continue to develop this skill. That has to do with form, or profile. While the piece you have displayed in this thread is beautiful, I think it would have been even more so if you had created a smaller foot; i.e. made it a significantly smaller diameter at the base and cut a gentle curving movement in that direction. Basically, I'm talking about a convex profile from the outtermost circumference down to the base, where you made it concave instead. But even with the concave profile I tend to think that a smaller foot would have been beneficial to the overall beauty of this piece.

That being said, there is a lot of subjectivity to turning design, and what gets a second or third look from one may not speak at all to another. Just offering some food for thought as you move forward.

Congratulations on your achievments!

Blog Entries
    Actually i felt the same way, when I stood back and looked at it It did look a little wide at the base. I kind of made a mistake with the base when I statred though. I dished out the center a little too much so when I added the second ring I had to go wider to prevent an undercut between the base and the first ring on the inside. This one was quite a learning experience I must say. Also when I was turning the top my gouge caught and put a spiral gouge all the way across the top. I thought it was ruined but fortunatly there was enough material to clean it up. I like using a scraper to finsh up with. I seem to have more control with it.
    Thanks very much Mark, I greatly value your opinion. Hopefully I can start the next one this weekend.

It's been kind of cold in the shop here in Tucson, we had to switch from tank tops to tee shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko
    ...It's been kind of cold in the shop here in Tucson, we had to switch from tank tops to tee shirts.
    Yeah...me too. The fire got kinda low in the wood burner and I had to put on a third layer of sweatshirt. So.....kinda the same here.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    Well, I've started the next one. Right now it's just a bunch of rings but I'll get some pics up soon.

It's been in the 20's the last few nights, very uncommon for our area. I put a mini space heater blowing on the peices I've glued up to get them to dry in a reasonable time.