Thread: Ridgid Scroll Saw Motor Brushes

Angry Ridgid Scroll Saw Motor Brushes

For the first time since I moved here, I fired up my scroll saw after mounting it to my new miter saw table (on a removable mount). Well, fired up isn't exactly what happened. Actually, nothing happened. Checked it over and couldn't figure it out. Called Home Depot and they gave me the number for the local service center (which is actually a third party electrical place). Took it into them and they quickly determined that one of the brushes was broken (he said it looked like it exploded). OK, replace the brush. Nope - they are not available, have to replace the whole motor. Now when I bought this a couple of years ago, I paid about $120 or so for it (if I recall correctly). A comprable replacement goes for about $100 (the Ryobi). The motor - $95!!! No thanks!!! I spent the better part of a day making calls about getting replacement brushes. I can't find them. And to make matters worse, the local Depot says I'm outa luck as brushes are designed to wear out and are not covered in the warranty.

I plan on actually going to the Depot tomorrow, with the saw, to speak with the manager and not leaving until I get resolution.

Any of you have any other ideas? In particular, where I may be able to get some brushes. <sighs in frustration>

Oh, I've also sent Ridgid an e-mail asking this same question.

Thanks, Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 11-19-2003 at 9:56 PM.

Motor brushes are nothing more than compressed carbon. If you can find a set for another motor - preferable a set that's just a bit larger, you can sand them down to fit.

Check an auto parts shop. They will carry generator/alternator brushes than might work, too.

In a pinch, I've actually used the carbon anode from a D cell battery to make new brushes for a small motor.

I'm presuming that your scrollsaw motor is a pretty small one. You might even be able to use the (readily available) replacement brushed for a Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele
    And to make matters worse, the local Depot says I'm outa luck as brushes are designed to wear out and are not covered in the warranty.Doc
    It would seem to me that if the brushes are designed to wear out as HD claims then they should be a stand alone replaceable part. You should not have to bear the expense of replacing an otherwise perfectly good motor because one replaceable part is broken. If the brushes "exploded" like the Service Center claims then that sure sounds like a defective product to me. I hope all works out for you in the end.

Don, Try southland carbon @ 800-476-7524. If they don't have them, they will make them for you. You just send the one good one for a sample. We use them all the time and they are very reasonable.
    Tip! Have a spare set made and put them with your Ridgid manuel.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Don, just got off the phone with Jim. No problem in getting them through them. Should have them sometime next week and for $8 a set (yes, I'll get an extra set made).

Now, do I buy the $8 burshes or pay the $95 for the whole motor like Ridgid and Home Depot suggested? Hmmm...tough decision...

Thank you VERY much. I knew I could turn to the Creek for help.

Be well,

Doc

Don, just got off the phone with Jim. No problem in getting them through them. Should have them sometime next week and for $8 a set (yes, I'll get an extra set made).

Now, do I buy the $8 burshes or pay the $95 for the whole motor like Ridgid and Home Depot suggested? Hmmm...tough decision...

Thank you VERY much. I knew I could turn to the Creek for help.

Be well,

Doc
    Your welcome, Glad I could help.
    You know I gave away one of my trade secrets. My customers always wonder where I get brushes for their old obsolete motors. It's OK, I doubt any of them visit the Creek.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

And to make matters worse, the local Depot says I'm outa luck as brushes are designed to wear out and are not covered in the warranty.

I plan on actually going to the Depot tomorrow, with the saw, to speak with the manager and not leaving until I get resolution.

Oh, I've also sent Ridgid an e-mail asking this same question.

Thanks, Be well,

Doc
    Don,

I spoke to the tool guy at our new HD and told him about your situation and he said if it were here all you would have to do was bring it in and they would give you a new one. He would consider that a bad motor. I suppose it's easy for him to say when he doesn't have to write up the replacement.

I'm looking to buy a scroll saw and this will influence my decision away from Rigid.

Clem

Clem, there are 2 Depots in my area (within a reasonable drive). Neither of them have the Ridgid scroll saw in stock and do not have any on order. I don't know if others are seeing this too, but their stock of Ridgid products has dramatically gotten smaller (fallout from the warranty fiasco?).

Be well,

Doc