Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much for vet bill??

I've spent a few thousand on my Yellow Lab, Murphy, because he likes to eat things that aren't food. We've had to have bedding, sheets, towels and dryer sheets removed from his stomach and intestines. In the past year, I've spent almost $1,500 on surgeries.

To us, when it's something like an obstructed bowel that can be easily fixed, I'll spend the money. If it were something like cancer, the decision might be different.
    Sam/Atlanta

2. Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Which leads to the title.. and a question - how many have insurance on your pet?
    My boyfriend and I have a dog (Australian Shepherd), three cats (half-Manx; the whole litter), and a new kitten (just your average DSH; she was a feral and we took her in). That's 5 animals in total. Basically it would cost us way more to have pet insurance than it would to just deal with whatever comes along medically when it happens, especially because we do have a bit saved up for an emergency, as any responsible pet owner should try to do!

We have had our three cats (Neo, Nala, & Baby Girl) the longest - we brought them home when they were 8 weeks old, and they are now almost a year old. In all our time that we've had them, we haven't once had to take them to the vet for anything other than their first kitten shots and their rabies shot, which is mandatory here. I'm not just saying this, but they are the healthiest and most beautiful cats I have ever seen in person. And we are both very proud in the knowledge that we are doing all that we can to ensure they're living the safest and healthiest lives possible. These kitties are my everything, I love them to death, and I want them to be around forever... or at least as long as physically possible. I am a very protective mommy with them, and yet I still make sure they get all that they need to stay happy and healthy - they are like my kids!

Acer, our Aussie, is fairly new to the family. He's three years old now but we only just adopted him a little over a month ago. He is quite possibly the best dog I've ever had. He's incredibly sweet, calm, laid-back, super friendly to everyone, never barks unless there's really a reason, and he always listens. Not to mention I think he's absolutely gorgeous! He still needs to go to the vet to be checked out though, as I don't know just how well his last owners took care of him. His overall look and coat have definitely improved sine we've had him though, and he seems to be doing great (other than the fleas he came with).

The new kitten, who we have yet to name, is also due for a vet visit soon. Just for her first shots, and soon she needs to be spayed.

A lot of people think we're crazy for having all these animals, especially living in a one bedroom apartment, but I only wish I had the money and room to take in more. There are so many pets out there dying in shelters every day because people keep on breeding and breeding, and then people keep on dumping them off at shelters for one stupid reason or another. People just need to get their pets fixed. Spaying and neutering all the pet animals that weren't meant to have litters, and stopping cruel practices like puppy mills and BYB's (back yard breeders: people who only breed for profit and could care less about the animals) is the only way this is ever going to stop, or at least dramatically lesson. All this senseless killing is just so depressing... Try volunteering for a kill-shelter for just one week and you will understand. It doesn't need to be this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post
    It is a DOG.
    Just A Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Authored by Richard A. Biby

With all of the people that could use a hand I cannot se spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars on a dog.
    To some, like myself, pets almost are like people. Or in some cases, are liked/cherished even more than most people.

The local shelters are over flowing with animals that have bee abandoned and could use a good home.
    Yes, this is true. It's incredibly sad, especially to see it first-hand almost every day as I do. But what are you trying to say? That there are so many out there anyway, forget about the sick or injured pet you have now because you can just go to the shelter and pick out a brand new one anyway? Like it's some kind of replaceable toy? See, this is the problem with so many people these days - they see pets as disposable things, things they can just replace on a whim. That is why there are so many in the shelters to begin with... When you take on the responsibility of owning a pet, you better damn well love it and care for it right till the end. If you can't do that, you should not be owning pets.

I think it is selfish and foolish to spend this kind of money on a pet.
    Some people actually love and care about their pets, just as some people love and care about their kids. I don't have kids, so my animals are my kids. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Sure, there are people out there who have pets AND kids and who care more about their kids, but I guess that's just how it is. Just as someone else here already said, just because they care about their kids more doesn't mean they don't also care very much about their pets.

It's most definitely not 'selfish and foolish' to spend a lot of money on something you truly love and care about - especially if it's to save that thing's life. You really shouldn't say something like that because it's disrespectful to a lot of people who do truly love their pets. Who are you to say their pets don't matter enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    If it's your dog then maybe it's just a dog. If it's my dog, then it's a different story.
    Just wanted to say, very well put.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jess Rowley; 07-13-2007 at 3:19 PM. Reason: adding.
    ~ * Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight. * ~
    "Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he's the one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
    - Mark Twain

3. Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Personally there's a lot more dogs I'd spend money on than people, sit in a courtroom for a bit as see how wonderful mankind can be.....
    Wasn't two dogs that took a baseball bat to my grandmother, to steal the $36 she had in her purse.

We spend about $80 a month on our dog now, she has Addisons desease and the shot keeps her alive, I have no problem spending that.
    Considering the enjoyment our dogs have brought us I'm not sure what the limit would be..

I was asked this question at work a ways back, and my reply was, does the vet take payments?

Al
    I definitely agree with you. And we're kind of in the same boat, money-wise. We spend well over $100 a month on food alone for our 5 pets. And no, they aren't fat at all! lol. I'm just extremely into pet nutrition, and I know all the horrible things that go into most commercial dry and canned pet foods (Iams, Purina, Alpo, Science Diet... all of it is pure crap), so of course I strive to feed my animals the best diet that I can, and can afford. Yes, we spend more money on them than we do on ourselves sometimes, but they give SO much more back to us. I don't know what I would do without them...
    Last edited by Jess Rowley; 07-13-2007 at 3:18 PM.
    ~ * Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight. * ~
    "Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he's the one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
    - Mark Twain

In terms of insurance: don't insure anything you can afford to replace. If you can't afford to replace it (monetarily or emotionally or whatever) you should insure it.

The way I see it, if you decide to bring a pet into your home, you assume the responsibility of providing good care. Having a pet isn't inexpensive. But then again, neither are many of the hobby's we choose to indulge.

As for limits, each family has to determine what is an appropriate amount. And then add at least another 25% on top that.

Certainly there are practical considerations when determining the limitations of care to be given, but care denied based purely on the fact that the animal is 'just a pet' or 'just an animal' is simply inhumane.

John Minnick Guest
    I just got a second Bernese Mountain Dog and I am debating on whether or not to get pet insurance for the second one. I have had it on the first one since he was a pup. It comes in handy for some things but doesn't cover any kind of congenital joint conditions. Mine had both elbows operated on for displaysia and then tore his left rear ACL. I think those two surgeries totaled $10,000. I'd do it all over again if I had to. He is definitely one of the family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Rowley View Post
    Acer, our Aussie, is fairly new to the family. He's three years old now but we only just adopted him a little over a month ago. He is quite possibly the best dog I've ever had. He's incredibly sweet, calm, laid-back, super friendly to everyone, never barks unless there's really a reason, and he always listens. Not to mention I think he's absolutely gorgeous!
    Mine's only half Aussie but I couldn't agree more. Sounds just like my China (Aussie/Chow). Dont think I'll ever own another breed. They're awesome dogs.

I do have insurance on China. It's around $140 per year and so far I haven't had to file any claims but it's nice to know she's covered if big expenses come up. The other plus is that the insurance info is noted on her microchip registry info. So if she somehow gets lost and scanned, medical care wont be delayed until I can be contacted due to payment issues.
    Use the fence Luke

8. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Mine's only half Aussie but I couldn't agree more. Sounds just like my China (Aussie/Chow). Dont think I'll ever own another breed. They're awesome dogs.

I do have insurance on China. It's around $140 per year and so far I haven't had to file any claims but it's nice to know she's covered if big expenses come up. The other plus is that the insurance info is noted on her microchip registry info. So if she somehow gets lost and scanned, medical care wont be delayed until I can be contacted due to payment issues.
    I'm guessing that's a pic of China in your av? If so, she's a cutie!

I really like the fact that the insurance info can be noted via her microchip - you never know, that could be a life saver! Definitely a plus, that's for sure. But let's just hope it never has to come in handy anyway. =)
    - Mark Twain

We have insurance on our two cats and dog. It's cheaper in the long run.

When the pets are young they tend to be pretty healthy. It's generally as they enter their senior years that you get on a first name basis with your vet.

Any dog lovers read the book 'A Dog Year' by John Katz? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and read it. Quick read that is both entertaining and enlightening.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

We have 5 cats 3 golden retrivers 2 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits. I spent over 1000 on my wifes cat a few weeks after she first got him. I would rather do that than go thru the alternative with my wife. all of our animals except the rabbits and pigs were abused 2 of the cats are blind and 2 of our dogs were so scared of humans that they were going to be permanent shelter dogs. Then theres stitch who is a big 3 year old puppy crazy dog. I Love my critters and would do anything for them

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Rowley View Post
    I'm guessing that's a pic of China in your av? If so, she's a cutie!
    Here's a better one from a few weeks ago.She mostly looks Aussie but has an extremely dense undercoat from her Chow half. She cant wait til the fall temps get here.
    China2007_2 b.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Here's a better one from a few weeks ago.She mostly looks Aussie but has an extremely dense undercoat from her Chow half. She cant wait til the fall temps get here.
    China2007_2 b.jpg
    And she's got that classic blueish-purple spotted tongue! I think that's an even better picture of her, she really is a beautiful girl. (And she's not the only one looking forward to the cooler temperatures)
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Boushard View Post
    all of our animals except the rabbits and pigs were abused 2 of the cats are blind and 2 of our dogs were so scared of humans that they were going to be permanent shelter dogs.
    You are a saint for rescuing them. Thank god there are people like you in this world! And same goes to anyone and everyone who opens their heart to a rescued animal.
    - Mark Twain

You have to be kidding, I'd give my dog a kidney.

I have been watching "the dog whisperer" all this week with my new puppy...its been a great week