Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Change Palmgren/Craftsman Lathe

Belt Change Palmgren/Craftsman Lathe

Hi:

Im new to the forum and would like some advise on the best way to change the drive belt on a 15" Palmgren/Craftsman Lathe.

Brain fade: I forgot to disengage the spindle lock before I turn on the machine and fried the belt.

Thanks!
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Wished I could help you Tom. I have the Palmgren but have only had it for a couple of weeks. I haven't even looked at the belt.

Would it be possible to use link-belt? People have good results on using them on TS, drill press.

Gordon

I plan on calling Palmgren tomorrow, but.. the belt is marked as a Gates belt. I suspect would be available through a Gates supplier, alot cheaper than going through sears or a Palmgren distributor. Given my propensity for silly moves it might be a good idea to buy alot of them
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Keen
    ....Given my propensity for silly moves it might be a good idea to buy alot of them
    Welcome to the club.

....and welcome to the Eddy Currents of the Creek!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Tom, you are supposed to unlock the pin stop!!! ha ha It is quite easy to forget though isn't it!!! My shop is unheated through the week and I don't think it is my belt but the pulleys not moving correctly. Just been living with it for the past couple of weekends but am going to order a new belt this week. Anyway, on another forum, a person provided these instructions so here is the website for lubricating the pulleys and it achieves what you asked for as the changing of the belt requires the same steps. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

http://aroundthewoods.com/lathelube.html

Thanks! very helpfull!

The lathe worked perfectly until I broke the belt.. plenty of power and while a little clean up was needed on the ways, its a solid machine.

Ive checked around for the belt. Gates made it, but its a custom size. Ive got a palmgren distributor running down replacement for me.
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

been there done that.

I have torn two belts the same way. For me changing the motor drive belt is a royle pain. I just about have to disasemble the entire motor assembly.

The key for me was to remove the motor frame bolts, the ones holding the motor in alignment. They go back on easilty and line up perfectly. After removal I was then able to wrangle the replacement belt onto the gears. This would be much easier if I could remove the main gear from the motor, I can't, it seems to be on to well even after I remove the retaining screw.

This is one aspect of my lathe that "when I buy a new lathe" it will be much easier to replace the belts.

If I get a chance today I'll shoot some pictures of mine with the covers off to explain better.

Tom, check with Sears, I hear the belt is $30.00. Won't know until I order as I don't see it as a line item in their catalog.

belt price

I bought one a couple of weeks ago from sears for $26. If you don't watch them they will charge you a ton for shipping.

you can probably take the belt to your local auto parts store and find one that will work. they have an incredible selection and should be fairly inexpensive

The Belt is made by Gates, but apparently a custom size. The folks I talked to at a local industrial supply suggested buying a "sleeve" of belt material and they could cut the belts. The sleeve is 24" long.. approximately 25 belts. If getting these belts is a challenge, perhaps I should get a bunch made and offer them up at cost.

Ive got the covers off the headstock. Does the motor move to the front of the lathe when the long motor bolts are loosened?

Thanks!
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Welcome to the club.

....and welcome to the Eddy Currents of the Creek!
    Say there John, do you know how to kilowatt?

corn alert

You push it off a wheatstone bridge into an eddy current.

You were warned.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Schlag
    you can probably take the belt to your local auto parts store and find one that will work. they have an incredible selection and should be fairly inexpensive
    Way back when....I took that belt to every auto parts store
    I could find....no one could match it or cross it. Since it was
    under warranty Sears sent me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    ...do you know how to kilowatt?

You push it off a wheatstone bridge into an eddy current.
    Oh Man!!!!! A joke that only a Tron Chaser could love!!

Good one Ken.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson