Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on dust collection

Looking for advice on dust collection

I just came across this site a few weeks ago and have learned alot already from everyone. I finally got around to registering today and this is my first post. I have a small workshop in my garage that currently consists of a unisaw, router table, miter saw, compressor various other small hand and power tools. I would also like to add a jointer and planer within the next year so I can prep my own wood. I am interested in adding a dust collection system. Since I've spent alot of money on the above mentioned tools, and all my wife has seen produced so far is a bookshelf for my daughter, a built-in closet shelf system and some built-in bookcases, I can't currently drop the $1000 I'd like on a good Oneida, Grizzly or Clear Vue cyclone collector unless I'm willing to sleep out in the garage with it. Here are my plans for a lower cost alternative, and I am hoping for some advice on whether there are better options or if this should be sufficient for the tools I have and plan to get.

I have gift card for Lowe's that I can use to buy a shop-vac. I could use this to hook up to existing ports on my router table fence, miter saw, and table saw blade cover. I would also buy the 2 HP Harbor Freight dust collector and upgrade the bags or place it outside when using it. I would hook this up directly to the base of the unisaw and router table cabinet.

I should mention that I usually open the garage doors when working, and the weather is pretty mild here in Northern Virginia. Since this is a hobby, I don't mind not working if it is really cold or hot. Does this sound like it would be capable of collecting most of the dust and does anyone have any experience with this type of hookup? I figure it will be pretty loud running a tool, dust collector and shop-vac, but are there any other alternatives? Is anyone in the area looking to sell a dust collector? Thanks for the help.

Brian,

Welcome to the Creek!

A shop vac really isn't going to do what you want for dust collection. The air requirements for dust collection are very different than that of sucking up stuff off the shop floor. DC means moving lots of air and cleaning the floor means lots of static pressure (suck power).

You're better off waiting until you can spend the $1K and get the DC you want than putting something inferior in place. Look at it differently - are your lungs and health worth waiting for the right solution?

Rob

Brian

I am in about the same place you are. These guys are very likely going to tell you you need a Cyclone, or equivalent for $1000+. You don't want to hear that, or at least I didn't. It just wasn't an option right now. ShopVac really won't cut it. I came up with $300 for the Delta 1 1/2HP. That's pretty weak too. Still, something is better than nothing. If I did it again. I would buy one from HF for around $100. It's way better than a Shopvac, but you have to move it from tool to tool. Doubt I would waste money upgrading it with expensive bags or filters. No matter what you do to it, you'll still be lacking CFM you must have for true DC. It's better than a poke in the eye, and you can throw it away in a year when you decide to buy a real system, or end up dropping the hobby.

I just bought the HF 2hp collector about four months ago. I paid $159.00 for it and it was the best 159.00 I have spent ona tool so for. This thing pulls 1600cfm wich is way more than enough for all my tools including a 12 planer, 6 inch jointer, and a new 2hp Grizzly TS. I could not be happier with my purchase of the HF. I looked at quite a few other dcs and this had all the same features and more cfm than any of the rest plus it was about half the price. So with the money that I saved I also bought the HF overhead air filter to take care of the fine dust that was floating around. All said and done I was just over $300.00 for both machines and a little peace of mind that I'm no longer breathing all that dust. Try this link this ins the one I have.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf...emnumber=45378
    Travis
    Last edited by Travis Hirst; 01-15-2007 at 12:58 PM.

If you go with the HF unit you can get a kit (or make the pieces your self and get the filter from Wynn enviromental) to put a cartridge filter on it that will capture the really fine dust rather than pump it into the air. This will give you the filtering that you need and still be far cheaper than other options. It would be simular to the Jet 1200 canister.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Hirst
    I just bought the HF 2hp collector about four months ago. I paid $159.00 for it and it was the best 159.00 I have spent ona tool so for. This thing pulls 1600cfm wich is way more than enough for all my tools including a 12 planer, 6 inch jointer, and a new 2hp Grizzly TS. I could not be happier with my purchase of the HF. I looked at quite a few other dcs and this had all the same features and more cfm than any of the rest plus it was about half the price. So with the money that I saved I also bought the HF overhead air filter to take care of the fine dust that was floating around. All said and done I was just over $300.00 for both machines and a little peace of mind that I'm no longer breathing all that dust. Try this link this ins the one I have.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf...emnumber=45378
    Travis
    The Harbor Freight dust collector may be a pretty good deal for the OP, but the claimed 1600 cfm is misleading at best and may be an outright lie. That flow rate is only developed under ideal conditions if at all. Once you hook it up to a machine through 10 feet of 4" hose, you will be lucky to get much more than a third of that.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-15-2007 at 3:59 PM.

I have to disagree. I have built a down draft box in the middle of my work bench. It measures 24x24 with the collection at the bottom. This machine has enough suction at the end of a 15 foot run to hold my work down on the table while sanding and it takes a good bit of force to pick it up. While I do not know the actual cfm that it pulls I do know that it's more than enough to effectivley pull all shavings and dust from the machines that I use and for the price that is half of the name brand machines it's well worth it for me and any weekend ww.

I've got the popcorn.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I am not saying that the Harbor Freight DC unit will not do what it is intended to do. What I am saying is that their advertised cfm rating is bogus and is of no use in comparing this unit to others. If someone is happy with it, then I reckon he got a good deal. However, the DC will not move 1600 cfm of air through any useful length 4 inch pipe.

The standard filter bags that come with the HF machine filter to 35 microns - if you believe their advertising. That will keep a person from having to sweep as much, but will filter out none of the ultra fine dust particles that many believe are the greatest health risk. If someone is buying a DC to protect their lungs from potential harm, then they are well advised to buy an upgrade filter of some sort.

Brian, if ya can afford approx $350, look into something like the JDS Dust Force, I have one and it does a pretty nice job, has a one micron filter bag also.
    I also like the lower intake, as a portable it seems to work better than the higher intake of some others, personal preference I guess though.
    Al

I've had the HF for about 6 months or so, 2 branches of 4" sch 35 PVC and 8 blast gates. I added the Wynne better quality canister. Since I only use one machine at a time this system works very well. The difference the Wynne filter makes in suction is amazing. I have 2 floor sweeps in the system and the shavings, debris, and chips fly into the system. I also use a JDS air filtration unit with the electrostatic filter. My shop is a little over 600 square feet and I am extremely happy with the results that I get. A side benifit of the air filtration mounted high is the increased efficiency of my heating when it's on. I probably have around $6~650 in the comlete system. I know there are much better systems but this works very well in my application.

cheap dust collection

Brian: There was a recent article on inexpensive portable dust collectors a few months ago in one of the woodworking magazines (FWW or Pop W ). The 1 1/2 hp delta was rated the best. I don't remember the model number but it had the motor mounted midway up the collector rather than on the base. I have a slightly different one ( still Delta 1 1/2 hp) with the motor on the base and I connect it to the individual machines. I did up grade to the 1 micron bags and it makes a world of difference. The check rated one I believe has a decent bag on it standard. The better the bag filtration the healthier it is for you. I really want an Oneida Cyclone some day but for now this can meet my needs. Not as convenient as I would like but I could afford this and not a good cyclone. If you were interested I could try to find where the article was printed in.
    Gary Brewer

Hi Brian from another local,

I was lucky enought to find a Jet DCK1100 with cartridge locally from the classifieds on another forum. Keep looking here, there and http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...263120595.html

You will be surprised at the volume of chips a planer and jointer produces. I have a 30 gallon trash can separator I use only for those two machines. I've emptied the full can about 8-10 times since mid-summer for a couple of cyprus adirondack chairs, cherry kids desk and hutch and a few other smaller projects.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Brian,

Welcome to the Creek!

A shop vac really isn't going to do what you want for dust collection. The air requirements for dust collection are very different than that of sucking up stuff off the shop floor. DC means moving lots of air and cleaning the floor means lots of static pressure (suck power).

You're better off waiting until you can spend the $1K and get the DC you want than putting something inferior in place. Look at it differently - are your lungs and health worth waiting for the right solution?

Rob
    My grandfather woodworked till he was 90 without any DC and not one problem with his lungs. But for safty sake I have to say you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    My grandfather woodworked till he was 90 without any DC and not one problem with his lungs. But for safty sake I have to say you are correct.
    My grandfather was a cabinet maker for many, many years too. The big difference between his work (and I'm guessing your grandfather's) was his use of power tools. The only real dust-spitter he had was a table saw. The Jointer produced shavings. He used hand tools a lot. Compared to today's woodworking shop where everything is motorized and producing dust - the old shops weren't as dangerous to work in. They also used more solid wood, which means less glue, resins and dinosaur-based stuff in the dust you breathe.