Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gripper Clones

Gripper Clones

There were two threads recently that mentioned the Grr-ripper push blocks available from Micro Jig. They've always looked like something that I'd like to use, especially after hearing all of the glowing comments from satisfied users. However, the $140 price tag for a pair of 'em put me off a bit. I decided to cobble up a couple of home-made push blocks using the Grr-rippers as a pattern.

These are made from 3/4" and 1/2" poplar. The handles are salvaged from a couple of adhesive-spreading trowels from one of the BORG's (less than $2.50 each). I cut the tabs that connect the sliding middle pad to the t-track from the sheet metal removed from the trowel handles. The handles are secured using long #10-32 screws and brass thumb screws, allowing the handles to be moved inboard (toward the fence) to provide more control when ripping very narrow stock. The "feet" are faced wth the rubber salvaged from an old mouse pad, and actually grips much better than the harder rubber that the Micro Jig push blocks use, though it's bound to be less durable (but easily replaced).

The t-track is from Rockler.

The inboard "foot" is secured with flat- and hex-head machine screws, so that the foot can be removed, or so I can add a stand-off spacer as shown in the last picture below.

I estimate that I spent maybe $40 for the two of these, though the wood was just stuff I had laying around, I got the T-track kit for half price at a recent woodworker's show, the UHMW came from one of those $11 grab-bag assortments from the local Woodcraft, and I have a lot of it left.

This first shot is of the two basic grippers, followed by a closeup.

This shot shows one of the grippers with an outboard adjustable UHMW support to accommodate ripping narrow boards.

This shows the support in use. The support rides against the table, keeping the gripper level.

The final shot shows an additional 5/8" thick UHMW spacer screwed to the inboard edge that moves the outboard edge out of the way of the blade.

The picture shows a setup to do a 4" rip that would have run the blade right down the outboard pad. Note that the outboard support has been retracted fully, or could be removed.

These things are working extremely well!!
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

2. as always, sitting here dreaming of building usefull stuff for my own shop...now if only I can find the end of the rainbow to buy all the tools ;-)

those look great!

Gripper clones

That's very good work, and they look like they will do the job - well done .

Nice work Steve.

Great job!! I love to see ingenuity at work! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Two "thumbs up", Steve! Well done! And to think, I work with and on 'puters for a living and hadn't thought of using the mouse pads for pusher "feet"! I hate the material used in plain old stock pushers, as it really is too hard. (I do, however, like the material used in the original Grrrripers. It's got some great holding power!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Cool

Wow, another project to go on my, now endless, "to-do list". Very nice Dan. Your design is excellent and well executed. Thank you for the detailed pictures and description. Your post is now part of my growing notebook of ideas for my workshop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Where Did You Get the Splitter?

Looks like you have a Craftsman saw similar to mine and I notice that you have what appears to be a removable splitter in the throat plate. Where did you get it or what can you tell me about it? Also, I'm assuming you had to cut a slot in the plate even if you purchased the splitter. What did you use to cut the slot?

Thanks.

Great Job Steve, like others I will be putting this on my todo list! Great job with the photos as well.

thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks everyone.

One thing that I should mention is that the commercial Grr-rippers have an additional feature that mine doesn't. The outboard support has a wide flange on the bottom, and can be fitted with a flat plate that can rest against the outboard edge of the workpiece, thereby giving a bit more horizontal force to hold the work against the fence.

With mine you have to take a little more care to ensure that you're keeping the work against the fence, either with the left hand (well in front of the blade, of course!) or by placing the gripper against the work with a slight gap between the gripper and the fence.
    --Steve--

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Barnes
    Looks like you have a Craftsman saw similar to mine and I notice that you have what appears to be a removable splitter in the throat plate. Where did you get it or what can you tell me about it? Also, I'm assuming you had to cut a slot in the plate even if you purchased the splitter. What did you use to cut the slot?
    The splitter is a commercial splitter from Micro Jig, Charlie - the same folks that make the Grr-ripper. You can see all the details on their website. It doesn't fit into a slot, but a series of four holes. The MJ splitter comes with a plastic fixture, a drill and mounting screws to help drill the holes - one of the reasons it's so expensive (about $25 for the thin-kerf model but the standard-kerf model is about half that).
    --Steve--

Steve,

Great project and creativity. I have a grrrrripper now and really like it, but could use a second and this looks like a fun project.

However, I'm thinking that the mouse pad feet might really wear out quickly and I agree that it is fairly easily replaced. What if you were to dip each of the legs about a quarter inch or so into that rubber-riser compound. I can't think of the name, but it's used for tool handles and such.

I'm thinking that if you scuffed up the bottom a bit it would hold well and be even easier to renew.

Whatcha think?

Michael

Nice, looks like they'd work just fine.

Seems like when ever I get close to done making stuff to make stuff, along comes another project to make more stuff to make stuff....
    Thanks for posting
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fross
    What if you were to dip each of the legs about a quarter inch or so into that rubber-riser compound. I can't think of the name, but it's used for tool handles and such.

I'm thinking that if you scuffed up the bottom a bit it would hold well and be even easier to renew.

Whatcha think?
    It might work, but I think it might be a little harder than I'd like. Certainly worth a try.

Something else is cutting a piece of 1/16" rubber sheet, cut from a bicycle tube, OR that sheet rubber for making gaskets and washers that you can get in the plumbing dept. of the hardware store.

To be honest, I don't expect to be replacing the rubber very often. It doesn't get real hard use, if you know what I mean...
    --Steve--

Steve Sawyer - A man with gumption!
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv