Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plywood hoist?

Plywood hoist?

With a combination of getting old, arthritis, and a back that I seem to abuse to often, I'm thinking of using some sort of hoist to get 4x8 sheets of plywood from the mobile rack I made, to the table to cut them on.

I'm thinking a cheap light duty manual hoist would work as the plywood I think maxed at about a 100#, but wondering what I can use to attach to the plywood to lift it with?
    I'm thinking there must be some kind of cam actuated clamp that locks on by friction and releases fairly easy?
    Also it might work to move heavier projects maybe.

tia

Al...who's having a getting old sucks kinda day....

Al,

Assuming that you have a pickup that you can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood to lay flat, between the wheelwells. Why don't you adapt the mobile cart to the height of the pickup bed, and make the cutting table the same height as the mobile cart, then all you have to do is slide the plywood to the cutting table and break it down into manageable pieces. Much easier than trying to rig up a hoist method, and taking a chance on dropping a nice piece of furniture grade ply. Just a thought. Regards, Bill

The mobile cart stores the plywood vertically, so it'd be a bit difficult.
    I do have a pick up and getting the sheets from that to the table is easy, its after they're stored is the problem.
    I really don't have the room to store them horizontal, and it might be a problem getting the bottom sheets out of the pile anyway.
    I think you mean to store them horizontally?

Haven't got to the furniture grade stuff yet, but for that stuff I can wait for help if there's a question with it dropping maybe.

Been thinking I might not need a hoist, just a couple of lines achored at the ceiling with clamps to hold the plywood vertically and I could swing the other end up and slide the table under it...maybe...

Thanks
    Al

Al.....go to a local rental store and look at a sheetrock hoist. It's a rolling stand with a tilting table that locks. You put the table top in the vertical position.....load the sheet rock (or plywood) on it.....tilt to the horizontal position where it automatically locks......move it to where you want to put it on the ceiling and raise it up by cranking it up. I'm sure if you saw one, you could make something that would work for your application.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-16-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Al.

Due to space limitations. I have gotten used to loading my 4x8 material onto the table by having it stand on edge, leaning against the table, an 8' side down/up. If you have a removable "door" on your cart you could do that too. Then after it's leaning I lift tip the bottom up and slide it onto the table.

For that part perhaps a block & tackle hung from the ceiling, with flat hooks that can be placed 4-5' apart (beyond cart ends) under the bottom edge?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Al

In a wood working mag. a while back they had a cart that set vertical at a slight slant like so / with a ledge for the material to set on that pivoted to the horizontal flat position & locked at the height of the table-saw. With your talent you should be able to come up with something like this. So you roll it over to the sheet good rack or truck & set a sheet on it either in the flat or vertical position & if flat pivot it upright & roll it to your saw or cutting table & pivot it flat & lock it in place & slide it off onto your table or saw. Or you could even build into it a cutting grid or lay a sheet of foam insulation on it to cut on . Mobility & a EZ-Smart or Festool cutting table all in one.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Al, regarding your sheet goods hoist, I agree with the others. Look at a sheet rock hoist. Also consider that a full sheet of 3/4" MDF weighs in somewhere close to that 100 pound value you mentioned. You probably want a bit more margin.

If you want a plan I could quickly draw you something that would work for you.

Al, Check this out, might help. I'm in the process of build a lift similiar to this one.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1168052365

Neal

Al - Don't spend a dime. Just read up on fulcrums and leverage.
    Only the Blue Roads

Well...I was kinda thinking on simple and small, but thanks for the idea's.

Only need this once in a while, maybe couple/three times a month so simple is key here.

I'm thinking a couple of tie down straps hung from the ceiling would work well, I can lift the plywood vertically off the floor a few inches with the straps, both the table and the storage cart are on wheels so that helps.
    Once I have it off the floor, putting the table under it would be easier.

I just need something to clamp on the plywood that the straps can hook on...er...maybe I just answered my own question, maybe some kind of clamp will work with out damaging the plywood?

Dave, the guy at the lumber yard said 3/4" birch MDF core was about a 100# a 4x8 sheet, I think he might have been short a pound or two...

One problem is when I'm trying to pull the sheet onto the table is, if it wants to wander off the side I can't stop it..more dented plywood.
    Thanks all
    Al

You situation is different then the one on another board a while back. Most of them, just want a panel mover, then they angle and lift the board onto the saw, so they shot this down.
    It might be better for you though. This can be found as a pay per downloadable plan (link not allowed?), or you can find the basic plan free, in a copy of the article, that you can view here: http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...0-caddy01.html

Perhaps you can make a sawhorse type stand with carpet on the top. Make it the same height as the saw. Then just drag the sheetgoods up to it, lean it against it, grab the bottom edge of the sheetgoods and flip it horizontal.

Pardon the crude sketch... The blue is supposed to be carpet

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 01-16-2007 at 2:59 PM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Between Randal and Brian I think we may have something.
    Maybe a folding version of Brians suggestion with a piece on the bottom to sit the plywood on, then the top being hinged, so all I have to do is move the table up to the higher side of the plywood, grab the bottom of the plywood and lift up, then slide it off the device onto the table???

This make sense??

Al...who is back building stuff to build stuff...
    Thanks all.

Al, I did this for you. It could made to be knocked down if you want.

Dave

Thats exactly what I had in mind for Al. Simple but effective.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen