Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plywood hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Dave

Simple but effective.
    I may be simple but I don't know how effective I am.

Well done Dave! I ain't buying you're simple either!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-16-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey, if you want to be effective too, then make it auto load the next sheet of material!
    I like that design a lot. It could be used as an infeed table of sorts for the TS. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

By George I think we got it!!!
    Looks like a plan guys, I will try to figure out measurments and start on it this weekend, looks even do able for the newbie here...
    Only thing missing is the wheels...gotta have wheels....hehe

btw...I've met Dave and simple ain't what I'd use to describe him either...

Thanks to all....again.

Al

ps...nevermind...looks like it does have wheels afterall......

Hey, did you get in on the Herc-U-Lift fire sale? It wuld be great if it could be adapted to this. Al, be sure to take pictures of your progress this weekend, and do a write up. I'm seriously interested in this...just can't do it until more of my shop is finished. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Al, if you want me to do a dimensioned drawing of what I did, just let me know.

Jim, I sure ain't Rube Goldberg.

Jim, pictures it will be...

Dave, anything will help, remember I'm the one who still needs plans to make anything..including push sticks...

Making it collapsible for storage will make it easier to keep out of the way.

Al

Al, I'll do it up for you ASAP. I've got a student this morning so it might not be until later this afternoon.

Do you know what you will use for casters? Dimensions? Or should I pick some for you? And how high is the surface you'll need to slide the plywood on? I'll make sure that between the casters and the lift, the plywood will be at the proper height for you.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-17-2007 at 9:24 AM.

Beasty won't let me start another project till this weekend...says her storage cabinets come first...so..
    I'll check on the table height tonight when I get home, and get back to ya.
    Figure I can start cutting pieces anytime, but they'll have to look like a storage cabinet...

Probably pick up some casters at menards, 3" ought to be plenty for what they'll have to carry.
    Also thinking of a cheap roller on top to help slide the piece off and it'd probable be easier on the plywood.

Al...who's trying not to get to complicated here...

Al, if you can get the casters before I start dimensioning, I can make allowance for their height. You could give me the total height of the caster and I'll work from there.

Rollers would be good but I'm thinking carpet held on with carpet tape would be better and the rack would be easier and less expensive to build.

Say hi to "Beasty" for me.

Al,

I saw a neat lift a while back, don't recall where though. I need to make one too, the next project will have a lot of sheet goods in it. A sheet good is loaded on the front and it's rotated backward to lift the sheet flat. A small wheel at the transition point allows it to be rolled around on the balance point. It had two ends held together by a center piece with the ends attached with hinges to make it fold flat when not needed. I would think that it could be built out of 1/2 ply and cutting out a good bit of the center should keep the weight down. I don't recall the exact sizes, but I plan on making mine 37" from top to bottom so when it's tilted up the sheet is even with the TS. I figure if I make the flats about 24" and come up with some sort of leg, it ought to work for a infeed table too. Excuse my crappy attempt at using paint as a design program. The dimensions and proportions are way out of whack, but I think you'll get the idea.

Mike

Image1.gif

Looks good enough that I get the picture Mike, thanks.
    Dave's design is close to what will work for me, with 4 casters I can roll it around to where ever needed.
    Right now I'm safer using the EZ system so I don't need to get them on the table saw, but I do most of my cutting on the torsion table....leastwise's till the pieces get smaller and I can use the table saw, by then I can carry them...

We'll see what happens with Dave's design, I think he says there's a money back guarantee on his design....

Al

Al, I did a little rework of the lift. Let me know if this works for you. I designed it so the feet come off after pulling a couple of pins No tools required to set it up or knock it down. It folds fairly flat this way.

Actually, I've had another idea for knocking it down but it would require more hardware.

If this works for you, let me know and I'll bang out the dimensions.

Looks good Dave, how wide to plan on making this thing?
    Wondering if about 4-4.5' wouldn't be wide enough?

Pretty impressive...thanks.
    Al

Looking good Dave!!

While you're at it, I've got this china cabinet I'm designing and..........

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work