Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are?

What are?

BONKERS!!

I have seen several times on posts people turning bonkers. Is this something that flies off the lathe and goes bonk!! Or is it something you turn on purpose?

Please don't laugh, I missed the joke probably!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Tyler, Bonkers are what you bonk people with! Seriously, they're simple spindle turnings that newbies create while learning the ins and outs of turning. You've undoubtedly created a few but you called them something else(?).

Gotcha! Just turned the first on Tuesday night. While learning at my friends house. I would have never called anything but scraps

I better not let my wife know what you call them, she'll use them just for that for me spending my time in the garage
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Fishermen use them to bonk overactive fish they have caught.

I made one from scrap walnut to use as a mallet for carving.

I let my nephew make one and he was thrilled, of course my sister was not thrilled about a 5 yr old boy with a bonker.

Tyler....Last year when the idiots here decided I needed to become a turner.....they lathed me.....They very generously gifted me with a Jet VS Mini and tools. One of the first things I turned and termed...was a "bonker". Here in this part of Idaho we have salmon and steelhead runs and often when a keepable fish is caught, the fisherman will hit it with a Bonker that looks similar to a carving mallet. Lots of ocean fishermen use a similar device. The ONLY and official Idaho Salmon Bonker s/n #1 resides with Andy Hoyt...the insane individual who started my lathing campaign. We then had a bonker contest ....where turners here turned bonkers and entered them into the contest. If you do a search using Bonker as the key word I'm sure you'll find the bonker contest thread and see some really intriguing entries.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Frisbee
    Hereabouts referred to as "Priests," used to administer last rites to hissing, snapping pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Frisbee
    LOL! That's a great description of said fish! (Not that I like the idea of bonking anything to death...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know if I had a big Pike flailing around in the bottom of the boat I'd sure bonk it. Those gill plates will slice you open.....

I hope this helps..........

One is two lbs. of solid red oak BONKER.........

The other is 40 lbs. of solid red fish BONKEE..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 01-11-2007 at 5:32 PM.

Is That Red Drum?????

Just so Hoyt doesnt' get too riled.....round...turn....lathe.....gouge.....I thought I'd better put in a couple of turning terms.....
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-11-2007 at 5:38 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just hope he doesn't notice what the bonker is sitting on! (stealth flatwork picture)

I saw it Rob.

Go to your room.
    Only the Blue Roads

Tyler, thank you so much for asking what I've been afraid to ask! My very first creation on my new lathe was a pastry rolling pin (pretty simple, but I've been wanting one) -- my boys and I had actually discussed putting it to use as a "bonker" in our home school classroom when they are getting lazy about their Algebra.... They seem to think it would be very effective.
    Lisa

~~A house is no home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body.