Thread: Beginner tools?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wrong guy to ask about jigs. I use the tool as its own jig. Stay away from the steeper grind on the wings of your gouge as you cut and you should be able to do well with it. The rougher can be used as the gouge I showed, except that it pokes poorly, being ground straight across. If you swing it into the cut rather than press it in, you should get good control. The roll it back a bit away from the direction of cut as you see in the picture once you have a place to steady your bevel. With a U shaped rougher, it's possible to use it to peel a no-sand surface by using it almost as a straight chisel say youre going right to left, you'd roll so the edge was going like this / as you went along. Just remember not to go too deep, but follow the bevel angle, If you go to deep, you can get under the shaving and hook yourself. Not a tragedy if you keep the toolrest up tight to the work, since it can't jam between, but the work will squirm and may unseat. Here's some shots going left to right so the photographer didn't get my better side. Whittle down in stages, as Dave Houk says on TV, so you don't splinter.
    Attached Images Attached Images