Thread: Damaged Hollow Form Help

Damaged Hollow Form Help

I was happily completing the final smoothing cuts on the inside of this hollow form, when all of a sudden I noticed dust and shaving flying out of the side! I nervously turned off the lathe expecting the worst, and was greeted with this nice hole. The piece is nowhere to be found, by the way, so that's out.

What would you do to fix/cover up/beautify this disaster?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don.........I was advised a method here that works well on cracks....I place piece of painter's tape on the inside of the bowl......crush some instant coffee crystals into a powder using a spoon ....mix the coffee with expoxy resin......add the hardener........mix and fill the hole. Let it dry overnight and finish turning.........

Check out the cracks in this piece of apricot I turned...filled as stated above.....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49745
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken, I may give that a try. I am a little concerned about it holding up, though, since the walls are 1/16th of an inch thick. I don't suppose I have anything to lose now, though.

Don......it's a HF....turn a collar for it so nobody can look too close inside....Get some of that wallboard tape......the fiberglass type...put it on the inside........ mix the epoxy ......make sure the epoxy engages the tape...and goes beyond onto the surrounding wood.....I'll bet it'll work.....Some of the more experienced turners will respond I'm sure......maybe they'll have a better idea based on experience.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-16-2007 at 9:56 PM.
    Ken

Thats a shame Don, that was a mighty fine piece you had going!
    Ken has a good idea! I would go with that, but with it being that thin it will be easy to damage and very fragile all around the turning in that area. If was mine I would probably just toss it. But it might be a good keeper for yourself but I would definatly not sell or give it to someone for that reason.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Don, just a wild thought...

You might consider finishing the piece then getting out the Dremel and piercing four equal size "windows" (i.e. holes) around it at even spaces. They could even be different shapes (maybe a heart, spade, club, and diamond?). Make this one just big enough to hide this hole.

With the hole below the shoulder you might have to get creative with it. It would look less like a save if the 'windows' were further up the shoulder.

Can you tell I've been here before?

Neal, I was just thinking along those lines. However, the whole point is moot now that the other side decided it wanted to crack severely as I was parting it off. There's no saving this piece now, I'm afraid.

That's a pity. Fine looking piece Don.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

OK let's get creative here! You guys are always making beautiful hollow forms with big bark inclusions in them. So I suggest Don that you open it up a bit and burn the edges and make it look like a hole! Now before everyone goes bananas, that's what you get for not tutoring me any closer. What did you expect from Texas anyway?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

That's a shame Don....Nice looking piece!

Wait a minute Christopher....weren't we the guys who said don't turn Oak?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    That's a shame Don....Nice looking piece!

Wait a minute Christopher....weren't we the guys who said don't turn Oak?
    We? What's this We stuff? Is there a Mouse peering out of that hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fuss
    Neal, I was just thinking along those lines. However, the whole point is moot now that the other side decided it wanted to crack severely as I was parting it off. There's no saving this piece now, I'm afraid.
    How'd I miss this part (no pun intended). Ok Ken you got me!!

Blog Entries
    Would have been a nice piece Don, shame it went south on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Don,
    Sorry to hear about the blowapart; I'm looking at that picture and thinking about how interested you were in that hollowing rig we saw last Saturday. I suspect a purchase/gloat might be forthcoming........