Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMALL shop layout

I am just down the road from Rick. I have small digs too but no pics to post, sorry. I have a similar complement of tools in about the same square footage. Between Rick and me, I am not who consumes the greatest percentage of shop space when they walk in the shop. Lets just say we are both good eaters.

I do have some tips. I have preformax 22/44 that lives on a hydrolic lift table under my mitersaw bench (my 8" jointer lives ther too). My 15" planer is also mounted to a hydrolic lift table it lives under the left extenion table of my TS. I can plane upto 2 1/2" thickness and 6 1/2' length withount moving the planer. For bigger stuff I pull it out and ope the 8' sliding door. The lift tables make great tool stands store away well and don't cost much more than a good mobile base.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Meazle; 01-18-2007 at 12:33 AM.

I see some of you are using cabinets with casters. I build what I thought was gonna be a great shop dolly a few years ago. I put my miter saw on it. But I CANNOT get it solid. No matter how hard I lock those wheels. How are you keep your stuff from wobbling? I end up moving the dolly out from its space, moving the miter saw to my bench, then putting it all back when finished. Kind of defeats the purpose of having mobility.

smaller shop

Matthew Teague had an article in Fine Woodworking a few years ago about his shop, which was half the size of yours -- 9 x 18. He had an amazing layout -- there wasn't much missing or much you couldn't do. The article was reprinted in the "Best of" series, in the volume on Small Woodworking shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steinhilper
    I see some of you are using cabinets with casters. I build what I thought was gonna be a great shop dolly a few years ago. I put my miter saw on it. But I CANNOT get it solid. No matter how hard I lock those wheels. How are you keep your stuff from wobbling? I end up moving the dolly out from its space, moving the miter saw to my bench, then putting it all back when finished. Kind of defeats the purpose of having mobility.
    You could use some screw-down jacking legs, so when it's in position, you lift it on the legs.