Thread: Workbench solution (folding/wall-mount workbench plans?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Workbench solution (folding/wall-mount workbench plans?)

Sorry for so many posts, but I have so many questions!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create a small paddling building environment in my garage. I have maybe a half of a small 2 car garage with low headroom due to canoes hanging.

I'm thinking of two main options right now:

1) Modifying a sawhorse to act as the base of a workbench. I was just going to mount a piece of wood to a well-made sawhorse. I'm making some that stack, but are still strong. So I thought that I could use one of them to be a table when not being used. This is the easiest option since I'll already have the saw horses built. But since they aren't finished yet, I can't decided.

2) Some type of wall-mount folding workbench. Here are two sites with plans:
    http://www.stor-n-fold.com/OurProducts.html
    http://store.woodstore.net/spacworcen.html

These are MUCH more than I'm wanting right now, but I figured I could get some experience working with plans, and have them for future reference if I wanted to make something better/nicer.

Anyone have any thoughts? I really don't have much free time (or money) so I want to get something done so that I can move on to making paddles rather than just thinking about them.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

Luke

second one might be better and use gate legs instead of singles.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Ditto what Harry said

oh and by the way in case you do not know, take whatever Harry says with ton of gold. He is one of the most practically knowledgable folks on this board.

Sherwood
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

For paddle-making, consider a shaving horse instead of a bench:

http://www.countryworkshops.org/CWshavehorse.html

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    second one might be better and use gate legs instead of singles.
    I bought the plan for the second one, and I also found a plan for a table with gate legs.

I'm going to just build the table from the plans I bought, not the cabinets of the hanger board.

But my question would be how the best way to do the gate legs would be.

In the design, the 2 table legs are a little less that half the length of the table, so the legs fold up parallel to the front of the work surface. I thought I could just turn these single legs, into a gate-leg shape |=| and have two folding leg hingers per side. But, this doesn't really seem like the legs are being used as gate legs. Seems like the gate-legs would fold out at an angle, and provide support for the front of the table (just as the picture shows), but then also provide support for the middle of the table.

Is this right? If so, I'm confused on how to attach the gate-legs so that they will fold down flat, but also pivot.

I hope that made since. I can draw a crude picture if that would help.

Thanks for the help!

Luke

gate leg is more like a normal table leg with a stretcher at the top and bottom and swings out from the wall like a gate. No reason why you can't have 3 gate legs if you have the room so you have a 3rd support in the middle. A tool shelf at the back could store tools and with its own legs would make it free standing and also would make a movable table if needed.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I built this one and I like it.

http://plansnow.com/wbenchfold.html

It is sturdy and pretty easy to do.

That looks like a great plan. Maybe something I'll try after this one (since I'm half way done). That plan definately looks much stronger than the on I chose.

Another possibility

The latest American Woodworker has a plan for a folding base that looks pretty strong. It has the advantage that it doesn't require wall space.

Quote Originally Posted by tom ryan
    The latest American Woodworker has a plan for a folding base that looks pretty strong. It has the advantage that it doesn't require wall space.
    Tom, you beat me to it. That one looks like a good idea and would be strong.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Luke

I built one as per your second example and, as Junor recommends, used gate legs. This bench is used for assembly, sharpening - it is not my main bench. But I have planed and hammered on it, and I am confident that it would survive sustained robust use. The reason for this is that it is anchored lengthwise against the wall - this and solid legs help prevent racking.

My reason for building this bench was that it was intended to fold out of the way to allow a tablesaw and motorcar to fit into the (double) garage/workshop. Ha! For the past few years the cars have lived outside! Heh!

Regards from Perth

Derek