Thread: 15 inch Widebelt Sanders

15 inch Widebelt Sanders

Hello all,

I have a question about the 15 inch wide belt sanders. I read the archives that a few guys talked about the Bridgewood and a few other brands. The posting was a few years old and I was wondering how you guys that own them feel now that you have had them for awhile. I am considering a Bridgewood that is used but the fellow says it is in perfect condition. He says it is lightly used. It is 3 ph and has a 7.5 hp motor. Is that enough motor? I know they are made for light sanding and not made for dimensioning lumber, I have a planer for that. I'm going to post this question on the Yahoo forum about widebelts to see if anyone has a Bridgewood over there.

Thanks
    Ben

I don't have a Bridgewood, but hp requirements should be about the same from one brand to another. I have a Shop Fox 15" widebelt with a 5 hp single phase motor. It could use a little more power. I think a 7 1/2 hp 3 ph motor would be about right for it.

Hi Ben,

I have the Grizzly version, just over a year old. It has a 5 hp single phase motor and seems good to me. With a course grit belt I'd say you can dimension lumber with it pretty quickly. Seems like the 7.5 should be plenty of power.
    Mark
    Mark R

Hi Ben, I have the Leneave Northstate which is the same as the Powermatic. It has the 3ph 7.5hp motor. This is plenty for a small shop. I looked at the BW before I bought the NS. Nice machine. Lightly used can be a relative term and if it is 3ph it could have come out of a pro shop. Check it out, check to make sure the table is paralell with the drum/platen. Is the owner throwing in some belts with the deal. If the price is right, then this could be a good deal, but like all used machines get as much into as possible.
    You heading this way anytime soon. I'm still getting acclimated. Just seems like there is so much to catch up on.
    take care,
    John