Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Kerf Woodworker II Requires Stabilizer

Question Full Kerf Woodworker II Requires Stabilizer

At the Baltimore (Timonium) woodworking show earlier this month, the person representing Forrest blades told me and other people watching "don't use my blade without the stabilizer". He was talking about the full kerf blade (I double-checked with him). He was pretty adamant about it, saying if you don't use the stabilizer, then use a different blade.

I have only bothered to use the stabilizer with thin-kerf blades.

Is anyone here using a standard kerf WWII or similar with a stabilizer? Is it worth the loss in capacity (more of an issue with this phenolic insert than it was with the original metal one)

As an aside, the new version of the Woodworker II has flat teeth spaced among the other teeth, so it will give you a nicer flat-bottomed cut.

Pete

I use all Forrest blades, full kerf, and have never run into the need for a stablilizer. Not sure why they insist that you use one.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

They are most likely trying to cover themselves by insisting you use the stablizer on there blades incase one flexes and someone gets hurt. Then they case say we tell everyone not to use our blade without the stabilizer.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Not sure why they insist that you use one.
    One word: money.

My respect for Forrest drops 50% because of their insisting on stabilizer even for their full-kerf blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Dinh

My respect for Forrest drops 50% because of their insisting on stabilizer even for their full-kerf blades.
    I agree. I have never seen a test that showed any benefit to a stabilizer. It's just more money in their pocket.

Why would a firm who claims to make the best, insist that it's only the best if you use a stabilizer. If that's true, buy some other manufacturer's product who makes a blade that does not need a stabilizer.
    Howie.........

So you've run across this too? I wasn't sure if it was just this one guy, or if it really was their corporate policy.

Pete

While I'm sure there is a profit motive at work here, for someone spending $100 on a blade, what's another $15 if there's a chance that using a stabilizer will give you a better cut......

Theoretically, it's more right than wrong to use a stabilizer. It's also more profitable when you buy than when you don't. It's a low tech, not so low priced money maker.

I've never noticed a difference even on a good TK...can't imagine needing one for the full kerf. It's also cuts into your max height capacity.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I think this guy might be representing his bank account and not Forest. Lots of resellers out their
    Have you checked with their CS??
    I'm having trouble believing it.
    TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Guys,

This completely contradicts my experience with both Forrest and their blades. This salesman was trying to bamboozle the audience, or he was ignorant. The salesmen I've seen at shows didn't work for Forrest anyhow, but resellers.

In fact, I tried to order a stabilizer with my WWII, and Forrest wouldn't sell it to me. They said that stabilizers are only beneficial with lower-end saws that have arbor runout or flexible trunnions. For any cabinet saw, you don't need a stabilizer. If you have a contractor's saw, then maybe it would help. My full-kerf 12" WWII, as well as my Duraline and Chopmaster all gave remarkable cuts, without stabilizers.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    ...the person representing Forrest blades told me and other people watching "don't use my blade without the stabilizer"...Pete
    Interesting. Reminds me of the old joke: Question - Do you know how to tell if a salesman is lying? Answer - If his lips are moving!!!

I just looked at the information on stabilizers on the Forrest web site. While it does recommend using stabilizers for several reasons, it says nothing about a stabilizer being a requirement.

I have used a Forrest WWII for several years both with and without a stabilizer. Personally, I see no difference in the way the blade cuts, so I now use the blade without the stabilizer.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I think this guy might be representing his bank account and not Forest....
    I don't care. To me he was Forrest.

If Forrest can't train their representatives, my respect for Forrest drop 50% too.

I don't care. To me he was Forrest.

If Forrest can't train their representatives, my respect for Forrest drop 50% too.
    Don't be too hard on Forrest. As someone who had to work with reps (in semiconductors) it's hard to keep those people in line. Just because you train them doesn't mean that they remember it all, or that they won't make up their own stories if they can make money from the stories. And some of the stories I heard reps tell were real whoppers. They don't work for Forrest and Forrest has little control over them. The only control is to threaten to pull the product from them but that's a real last resort.

Just be aware that the person is a rep and don't take everything they say as gospel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have used the Forrest 5" stabilizer with Forrest and other brand thin-kerf and full-kerf blades on a Bosch 4000, a Ridgid 3612, and a Jet cabinet saw. I never have noticed any difference in the quality of the cuts, and I don't like the loss of cut depth I get with the stabilizer. I really don't know why Forrest markets their stabilizers. They make great blades that work just fine without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson
    Don't be too hard on Forrest. As someone who had to work with reps (in semiconductors) it's hard to keep those people in line.

Just be aware that the person is a rep and don't take everything they say as gospel.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, good point.

Now that a bunch of people have piled on complaining about Forrest, does anyone realize that nowhere in this thread do we even know for certain that this is Forrest's policy? All we have is a question from one person, someone new to the forum, that a sales guy that may or may not work for Forrest might have said stabilizers are required. Ease up a little until you have all the facts. It would be a shame if peoples respect dropped 50% for jumping to conclusions.

Edit - Quite right Dave, thanks.
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 01-19-2007 at 3:28 PM.