Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Kerf Woodworker II Requires Stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    ...does anyone realize that nowhere in this thread do we even know for certain that this is Forrest's policy?..
    Tom - Please read my post, above. On the Forrest web site there is no mention of the stabilizer being a requirement.

http://forrest.woodmall.com/damstif.html
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I actually have not used the stabilizer for my full kerf Forrest blades in a few years with no ill effects. There is no harm in using them, however, and it theoretically will make the disk run truer under load.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson
    Don't be too hard on Forrest. As someone who had to work with reps (in semiconductors) it's hard to keep those people in line. Just because you train them doesn't mean that they remember it all, or that they won't make up their own stories if they can make money from the stories. And some of the stories I heard reps tell were real whoppers. They don't work for Forrest and Forrest has little control over them. The only control is to threaten to pull the product from them but that's a real last resort.

Just be aware that the person is a rep and don't take everything they say as gospel.

Mike
    What Mike said. That guy is a dealer and not a Forrest factory person. I heard him telling customer about the "new" WWII that is apparently just a version with raker that's been out for a while.

And um Mike, I used to be one of the semiconductor reps selling switch fabrics. What are you saying? Everything I said was true

Can you spell 'moron'? That guy qualifies for sure. It's all balderdash and as other have alluded to: it's all about money. I've been using a regular kerf and occassionally a thin-kerf blade practically forever. Never had an issue that required a stablilzer.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

When I picked up my WWII at the Columbus show they tried to get me to buy one for $26. I didn't see a need for one and I still don't. If they blade is that flimsy then you shouldn't be using it at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker
    When I picked up my WWII at the Columbus show they tried to get me to buy one for $26. I didn't see a need for one and I still don't. If they blade is that flimsy then you shouldn't be using it at all.....
    Same story here when we bought one at a show for a friend....he definitely thought we should have a stabilizer for it....we didn't agree. I suppose when they push the stabilizer, we should all be asking the "rep" if the Forrest has a deflection problem...
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-19-2007 at 6:03 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    .....All we have is a question from one person, someone new to the forum,
    What does that have to do with anything? Does one have to have a certain number of posts under their belt before their posts are taken seriously? Personally, I think the OP's remarks expressed a very legitimate concern about what that "rep" was insisting is a Forrest policy. I see no foul in calling Forrest on this claim.

This has been suggested at each WW show I have been but the rep is not from Forrest. These are wholesalers aor dist. reps that are selling the product and for what a stabilzer cost them and they sell it for adds about 18.00 profit to each sale. I have and only would use a stabilizer with TK blade.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I purcased the LV 5" stabilisers many years ago, and use them on a full or TK kerf. What's the harm? One half of the stabiliser is already on the arbour, why take it off depending on the type of blade you are using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

To pile on, I have one and never use it. Also, as has been said before, Forrest sells through reps. They do not do the shows themselves and I think that they may do themselves injustice buy this. I do have a stabilizer that I bought about 10 years ago when I bought my first blade a thin kerf. I used it off and on, mostly off and found that it just took up space and added nothing.

A couple of years ago, I had several discussions with someone at Forrest about bulk purchasing some blades for our guild. His price for say $2,000 worth of blades was more than most on line sites. His comment was, "we can't control what our dealers do or charge."

And now my push for the "other guy", John at Ridge Carbide does do the shows and he does own the company and he does sell you the blades his company makes and he is up front with you, so.......

And they are GOOD!!!!

CPeter

Strange. I don't use the stablizers even on thin kerf blades.
    [I don't own any Forest Products]

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper
    What Mike said. That guy is a dealer and not a Forrest factory person. I heard him telling customer about the "new" WWII that is apparently just a version with raker that's been out for a while.
    Interesting. He definitely told me and the others there that was the new replacement WW II. In fact, he had a sign that said something like "ask me about the new woodworker II". I guess I was bamboozled! I didn't buy one, though

Ridge Carbide

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    And now my push for the "other guy", John at Ridge Carbide does do the shows and he does own the company and he does sell you the blades his company makes and he is up front with you, so.......
    I have the Ridge Carbide dado set. It's pretty nice.

I purchased the WW II a year or two back instead of the RC blade based primarily on reviews in the magazines. The WW II always came in top.

How's the RC compare? They look like a beefier blade.

Pete

Pete, on the page I'm going to link to, scroll down to the bottom to the "custom" grinds section to see the various formats you can get the 10" blade in...I own the 20T WW-II rip blade to compliment my standard 40T WW-II blades. The #6 grind sounds like the one the fellow at the show was breathing heavy about...and it's been available for a couple years now "stock". Further, Forrest will grind/sharpen them in almost any format a customer wants as well as re-bore, etc, when there is a saw arbor size change from a "new tool purchase".

http://www.forrestsawblades.com/woodworker_2.htm
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Pete, on the page I'm going to link to, scroll down to the bottom to the "custom" grinds section...
    Thanks. Looking at that, I realize I have seen it before. It just didn't register.

I'm going to email Forrest and let them know how their reps have been behaving.

Pete