Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good tools from Harbor Freight???

Good tools from Harbor Freight???

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit.

As a frugal bargain hunter, I am often tempted by HF's low prices. Most of the time, I have been sorry I bought a tool there, because they are usually...well, you know.

Anyway, from time to time, HF actually has something good, at a fair price. I thought I'd share some of my "good values" and ask you all if you've found any.

So here we go-
    a floor standing drill press has been fine:
    drill press.jpg

a flush cut saw [for $5, a good value]
    flush cut saw.jpg

a heat gun, on sale for $10, regularly:
    heat gun.jpg

So those are my good finds. Lots of bad ones I won't mention.
    What are yours?

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been very pleased with the G0513 bandsaw I bought 2.5 years ago. Best price/value combination at the time and has performed to expectations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

The tire changer = excellent buy, dismounted 4 old tires, mounted 4 new tires, more than paid for the tire changer that first time. Not used daily, but always ready when needed.

Chainsaw chain sharpener = excellent buy. Only used on my Stihl chains but I heat my home with an outside wood burner and cut a lot of firewood. Don't think it would hold up for a chain saw sharpening shop but again, first winter at 50 dollars for the sharpener and over ten dollars a chain to be sharpened up town, more than paid for itself the first winter I owned it.

Biscuit cutter - I have only used this twice, but worked good, again, I am a hobbyist so couldn't see the expenditure for a tool used so little.

Now don't ask about the tools I have purchased that haven't lived up to expectations, I can't type that well!!!!!

I've had two good experiences with them...the 34706 lathe which got me into the abys and the pickup truck bed extension setup for the receiver hitch. (the latter of which will soon be in the SMC classifieds as I don't have a pickup truck anymore...)

Losers were the 3/4" pipe clamp sets that require a hammer to readjust.

Their floor DPs generally get decent comments as does the so-called "2hp" DC, at least relative to the blower. The filtration is on par with a burlap bag and good filter bags are necessary to make use of it "properly". (I don't own, but a friend does...so I've had a close look)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Heat and glue guns - work fine and very cheap.
    .5" corded drill which has enough torque to break a wrist.
    SCMS for $99 - not too accurate but gets 8' lengths to manageable sizes. Assorted screw drivers, favorites are the extra long ones for general use.
    Pony clamps.
    Small bar clamps which are my favorites.
    Plastic clamps which flex and don't have much holding power.
    Returned bench grinder - weird arbor size, didn't take 1" wheels.
    Returned bench stand as it was made for very small people.
    Assorted measuring tools, the gem being an angle finder with magnets.
    Socket wrench set. I curse this set all the time but keep using it.

I'm sure other stuff but that's all that comes to mind.

Burt

The 2 HP Dust collector is fine. I also have that same flush cut saw, and the 1/2" pipe clamps and some bar clamps. They all work well. I also have that receiver hitch bed extension and I've never used it. I guess I mostly buy wood in 8-foot or 10-foot lengths.

Harbor Freight

A heat gun for 9.95 -- outstanding -- hasn't broke yet.
    A mini-router.

Since they have opened a store not too far from me, I go in once-in-awhile and stock up on many miscellaneous things.

I bought a 4" x 36" bench mounted belt sander about 3 years ago. I use it every day for sharpening chisels and haven't have a bit of trouble with it. I also have the HSS lathe chisels that are OK.

I bought their 8' x 10' trailer bed that I use to haul wood- no complaints. I've made several trips of more than 8 hours and it pulls just fine down the interstate. I built a back on it that I can close and lock that seems to work well.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I have the 2hp DC and like jim said the bag only does a fair job at containing fine dust. I did however get the overhead air filter system to take care of the fine stuff and in my opinion does a great job for me. I will eventually get the 1 micron filter canister to go with my dc which will greatly improve the collection.

Travis

Harbor Freight Tools - 2 HP Dust Collector

I recently purchased the 2HP Dust Collector on sale for $169.99. I didn't even install the bag filter and went straight to a Wynn Environmental Cartridge filter. So far I'm very pleased. Well packed, all parts included, reasonably good quality. With the Wynn filter it performs quite well.

Having bought and assembled mine, I now look at the 2 HP Delta, Jet, General, et. al. . . and wonder. They seem to be nearly identical in design. Polish on some parts such as the motor seem better than my HF. Perhaps they are just cosmetic or minor mechanical seconds.

Regardless, my advise on HF is be skeptical, look for reviews, keep your receipts, and be prepared for the worst. I figure, whether I'm buying name brand or HF, it still rolls out of the same factory.

Fred, where did you get the wynn filter and how much. If you don't mind me asking

Travis

ya know........ i have yet to break any of their deep well sockets 1/2" or 3/8". i've put them through some pretty tough paces. i'm intersted in their pneumatic reversible drill. can catch em for $20 sometimes. it's tiny and has a pretty high rpm rating. might come in handy sanding bowls.
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Some of my gems are...

28 PC. TRANSFER PUNCH SET

6'' CROSS SLIDE VISE

The Pittsburgh bar clamps
    Dial indicators
    Calipers

and all kinds of the little stuff.

The only big item I have is the 2HP Dust Collector.

Last, but not least, the hold down clamp I used in my Router Table Sled. I can't find it on the HF web page.
    http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/routersled/

-Don

Fred,

I am thinking about getting the same 2hp Collector.

How do you have it wired? On its own 20amp circuit? My only hold back on buying it right now is that my shop is so woefully underwired right now, that it will probably sit in a box until I can scrape together the $1k it will probably cost to get enough juice running to it to run the DC as well as the other toys, er tools that I want to get (jointer, planer, etc.)

Isn't "Good Tools from Harbor Frieght" one of them oxymorons?
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!