Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sawstop debate rages on

Don,

You'll me amazed/floored/stymied/perplexed/wowed at how bloody FAST the saw blade drops below the table saw top. I swear if you blink, you'll miss it! The SS is a very impressive table saw from many different angles.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Don,

You'll me amazed/floored/stymied/perplexed/wowed at how bloody FAST the saw blade drops below the table saw top. I swear if you blink, you'll miss it! The SS is a very impressive table saw from many different angles.
    Chris ,
    Is that you? If you remeber I was the first to point out it is an expensive machine to run , if you business is cutting up hot dogs
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

'Tis I!

Yes, a pricey hot dog cutting machine and you know what: it does a LOUSY job of cutting hot dogs. I want my money back!

"I kinda feel for what I am doing my equipment is proportionately correct...There is not one correct way to go ...for each of us its different...fingers are nice to keep though."

I agree Mark thats why I have the tools I do. Hurray for old iron.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

5. The importance of a riving knife: perhaps as important as as any safety device on any saw.
    I recently heard of an industrial woodworking accident/incident that occured about a year ago. The incident/accident was the result of a kickback. I researched/investigated the incident to make sure I had the facts correct. The accident occured in a large well equiped manufacturing plant that produces custom and standard molding.
    The shop accident occured when a piece of wood kicked back from a stationary saw with a twelve inch rip blade. The wood piece fractured off the original stock and shot back. The projectile, with the combined speed and mass, shot into the female operator at the waist above the pelvic hip bone like a spear.
    She was taken to emergency where she was operated on.
    The doctors opted to cut through her side to remove the piece sticking out either side of her rather than risk further damage by pulling or pushing it through. It missed her spleen by half an inch. She had one week to go before returning to university.
    She was estimated to be 12 to 15 feet back of the saw when she was struck. She was walking across the hazard zone from one side of the orange lined safety zone to the other side when the accident occured.
    This same saw on separate occasion involving kickback sent a blunt ended broom handle size piece of wood through and out the other side of a box bin for cut of scrap pieces. It went through two sides of the bin. That is two pieces of 3/4" fir plywood.
    Well, what I got from this was: stay out of the line of fire and use a saw with its safety devices in place as kickback accidents could potentially kill you.
    I bought a Sawstop table saw because of its riving knife and how well it works in tandem with the saw blade. That was the one piece of advice my retired friend gave me when I went to a woodworking trade show on the west coast. Find a saw that has a riving knife and or splitter that is not cumbersome or a burden to use.
    The young women lived

I have my microwave turned on and waiting for Orville Redenbacher to start talking to me. Extra butter please.
    David B

I would buy a slider over a sawstop but buy the time I'm in a position to buy a slider the europeans will probably have this technology mandated.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

A good thing I see in these more recent threads on SawStop is that people are focusing on the saw and not on the inventor.

I agree that a riving knife is perhaps more important than the sawstop mechanism itself. Too bad more saws are not offered with riving knives. For example, Grizzly does not offer a 10" saw with a riving knife (yet).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A little help here, I keep hearing about the hot dog test and how it doesn't hardly leave a mark when the blade hits it.
    I haven't seen this demonstration so I was wondering, do they just slowly walk the hot dog into the blade or is it inserted like a kickback, slipped hand or whatever might cause you to to insert body parts with a bit of speed to them?

And if it was walked in, has anybody jamed a hot dog in to see what damage was done??
    Still gotta be a lot less than no brake I bet.

Seems like this was brought up before, but I can't find the anwser.

Al

Go to their website... http://www.sawstop.com/ Half way down the page on the left hand side is a button you can click so you can watch the hot dog test with your own eyes.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    A little help here, I keep hearing about the hot dog test and how it doesn't hardly leave a mark when the blade hits it.
    I haven't seen this demonstration so I was wondering, do they just slowly walk the hot dog into the blade or is it inserted like a kickback, slipped hand or whatever might cause you to to insert body parts with a bit of speed to them?

And if it was walked in, has anybody jamed a hot dog in to see what damage was done??
    Still gotta be a lot less than no brake I bet.

Seems like this was brought up before, but I can't find the anwser.

Al
    Al,

The demo I saw he just ran the hotdog into the blade like anyone would normally cut on a table saw. It wasn't slow but he didn't ram it in there at the speed of light. IMO, it was a normal feed rate leaning a bit towards a faster rate.

It is amazing how fast the blade drops below the table top...you almost don't believe it!

Performing a simple calculation shows how the SawStop should behave with speedier insertion.

According to their web site, they claim to react within 3-5 milliseconds. Call it 3 milliseconds to be optimistic. Assume an impact velocity of 10 m/s (about 22 mph, or how fast something would be moving after falling from over 16 feet). The distance travelled in 0.003s at 10m/s is 0.03m, or 3 centimeters (about 1 3/16 inch, for you non-metric types). On a 10 inch blade, that translates to a gash just under 6.5 inches long.

That's a very serious wound, but still arguably much better than you would get without the SawStop protection. And still not bad for having _slammed_ your hand into a running saw blade!

I saw the demo in person this weekend, and I'm extremely impressed. I think the blade drops faster than it appears to on the web version. The rep stated that Sawstop will replece the cartridge at no charge if they find (through testing) that the "used" one returned to them was set off by human contact. That said, now you're only out the price of the blade to save digits...a good deal in my book.

Also, I believe it is a dandy TS.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wessels
    According to their web site, they claim to react within 3-5 milliseconds. Call it 3 milliseconds to be optimistic. Assume an impact velocity of 10 m/s (about 22 mph, or how fast something would be moving after falling from over 16 feet). The distance travelled in 0.003s at 10m/s is 0.03m, or 3 centimeters (about 1 3/16 inch, for you non-metric types). On a 10 inch blade, that translates to a gash just under 6.5 inches long.
    10 m/s is like 33 ft/s. Boy, that is really HAULIN' into a table saw blade! I'd say I could stop the blade easily ramming a piece of wood into it at that velocity! My hand at that speed might stop the blade...MAYBE (wouldn't want to try it!)

If you travel about 3 cm in 3 ms, how do you get a gash 16.5 cm long (6.5")?? Seem your gash is 3 cm, ain't it?

From my SS manual

5. In the event of contact, the blade will be stopped in about 3–5 milliseconds (coarse toothed blades stop
    more quickly than fine-toothed blades such as plywood blades).
    Therefore, the seriousness of the injury incurred
    will depend on the speed at which a person’s hand or other body part is moving in toward the blade.

For example, if
    a person’s hand is moving toward the blade at 1 ft./sec., then the depth of the cut will be approximately 1/16th inch
    (1 ft./sec. * 0.005 sec. = 0.005 ft. or 1/16th inch). At faster speeds, the cut will be proportionally deeper.

Therefore,
    it is possible to be very seriously injured even with the SawStop
    ® safety system.