Thread: Natural Edge Walnut table/bench

Natural Edge Walnut table/bench

I finally got the oil on a natural edge walnut table/bench I've been working on for some time now "in-between" other things. The BLO really popped the nice crotch figure in this piece. Once cured, I'll get some shellac and PSL on it so it can be put in use. I originally intended this piece to be a bench in the kitchen for shoe/boot installation, but the space isn't right for it and a Shaker style step stool will be made for that place instead. (I also slightly screwed up the angle of the one leg so it's not quite as stable as I'd want for a bench to be) This piece will go into the great room to replace an old (and visually out of place) oak coffee table.

This table/bench is a semi-neander piece as the slab had to be entirely hand worked from rough due to its size. (Ok, I did use some power sanders, too, but three different hand planes also were involved! )

Dimensions are approximately 36" long, 18" high and 12"-20" deep, depending on where you happen to measure. The turned legs are ash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very beuatiful Jim. The figure is fantastic. And the contrast with the legs goes very well.

Be well,

Doc

Nice work, whats a "hand plane"?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Yakonick
    whats a "hand plane"?
    It's a machine to make fine adjustments to the contour of wood with a sharp blade and always has an exactly one-human-power motor no matter what the size or configuration... Most of them do NOT look like the pigs (or the whale or beaver) on the back cover of the new Winter 2003-2004 issue of Fine Woodworking, however.
    --

Nice Table Jim.....................different, but very nice. Did you turn the legs, and if so, what type of wood did you use for them? Also, the legs appear to be splined with a red colored wood...............neat touch. The finish looks good as well. Nice hunk of Walnut.............and creative use of it too. I enjoyed looking at it, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Did you turn the legs, and if so, what type of wood did you use for them? Also, the legs appear to be splined with a red colored wood...............neat touch.
    The ash legs are simliar to those that I made for the six three-leg Nakashima Mira-style chairs I've had in the works for some time...they were actually extras from the original batch or legs I turned last year. The wedges are cherry and do add a little interest.

nice

very unique. beautiful walnut,

b

Real, REAL purty there, Jim! So, how long has the wood been dry? I did a small table (Cherry) some time ago and it was a beautiful piece of wood, but after the first cycle of the seasons, it developed a nasty crack! (It didn't help that the slab contained the pith.... ) And, did you coat all the edge with shellac, too?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    So, how long has the wood been dry?
    The lumber was milled in 2000. You can see the slabs in the "Lumber Milling Pictorial" on my site.

I did a small table (Cherry) some time ago and it was a beautiful piece of wood, but after the first cycle of the seasons, it developed a nasty crack!
    This is pretty stable stuff as walnut tends to be. There was a hint of a crack at one place on the large end and I am considering a burl dutchman to insure it stays put...and may add it next weekend. But that crack hasn't changed in several years. It would require re-sanding and oiling the top, but that's no big deal!

And, did you coat all the edge with shellac, too?
    My preference would be to just use the oil and wax it, but for practical reasons, I'll seal with a coat of shellac and then spray it with PSL to avoid problems with...umm...beverages that might accidentally get set on it. The edges will get finished with the shellac as will the bottom.

Jim,
    That's a really beautiful table!! However, I thought I'd give you a bit of advice, before Keith or Ken do....

If you keep tapping out lines like, "The BLO really popped the nice crotch figure in this piece...", they're going to have to slap some Parental Warnings on this board!!

I know....to the corner with me....

Again, very nice work!

Keith

Oh man, that picture doesn't do it justice! That was one beautiful piece of walnut. I really liked the design. If you notice any unusual marking on the top it was where I tried to wipe the drool off...oh yeah and rust on your new "toy" same reason

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jim,
    Nice work, my friend. Couple of questions. How did you get the wedges so red?
    Also, how did you treat the live edge? Sanded? Perhpas with a flap sander?
    I have a commission for wane edged solid cherry shelves -- 3 at 10', 3 at 4', 12" + wide. Finished at 1-3/8" thickness. To be hung without visible hardware.
    I played with a flap sander on a scrap of edge a bit, and it smooths it, without altering the profile, but it does leave some smallish pits. If I go deeper to remove those, then the wane will not look as natural. The saywood will be colored to match the heartwood, so perhaps the small imperfectioins will not be so noticeable. Any thoughts here?
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    How did you get the wedges so red?
    Cherry just happens to be that color...

Also, how did you treat the live edge? Sanded? Perhaps with a flap sander?
    After peeling any remaining bark, it was just a lot of sanding. I don't have a flap sander, but did have a soft pad for the ROS. I wasn't worried about losing a small amount of detail and the sapwood is quite thick along the edge. It's quite smooth, yet doesn't appear "processed".

I have a commission for wane edged solid cherry shelves...~snip~ The sapwood will be colored to match the heartwood, so perhaps the small imperfections will not be so noticeable. Any thoughts here?
    Only that it almost makes me cry to hear that the sapwood will be colored. I'm a "naturalist" when it comes to these kind of things, but also keep in mind that the heart wood will get noticeably darker and it's very difficult to "match" the sapwood to the heartwood's ultimate color...it's a moving target. One of the things I really like about Nakashima's work was his embracing the beauty of the wood and not masking sapwood on his natural edge pieces. There is a good example of cherry shelves similar to yours at the Michner Museum in Doylestown, although they are not up with hidden supports. They are absolutely beautiful because of the contrasting color along the edges. My own opinion, of course. Your commission may require you to do things that are a bit different!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    However, I thought I'd give you a bit of advice, before Keith or Ken do....
    'Musta been the walnut dust getting to my three remaining brain cells...or maybe it was the weekend following a whole week away from LOML...
    --