Thread: Book matched panels from the new band saw..

Book matched panels from the new band saw..

Hello Everyone,

I finally got some time today to make my resaw fences for the new G0513 band saw. I'll post some pics of them and a article on their construction and use when I get a little more time. After I got the fences done I did some resawing.

I bought the new saw specifically to do some book matched door panels for a entertainment center for our living room. I have some tiger white oak sequenced boards that I have been saving specifically for this project. I really wanted the panels to turn out well and I think they did. I held my breath during this entire process. I sure didn't want to ruin one of these boards.

The pictures do not do justice to the actual grain of the wood, but hopefully you can get the idea. These panels are 1/4" thick, 11 3/4" wide and 48" long. Here they are after I got them planed.

I Perfromaxed them and have them stickered with some weight on them to make sure that nothing crazy happens before I get them in the stiles and rails. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get the doors done next weekend and also post my resawing article.

BTW....the new saw did great with the new Timberwolf 3 tpi 3/4" blade on this VERY tough white oak.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 11-24-2003 at 1:23 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David Blangger Guest
    Terry,

Great job...great blade and saw.....you sure started with a small book match for your first attempt

Quote Originally Posted by David Blangger
    Terry,

Great job...great blade and saw.....you sure started with a small book match for your first attempt
    David,

I never have much fear on trying stuff. I guess I just don't know any better. It worked out this time.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs up

Looks good Mr. Hatfield! You and that Grizz make a pretty good team. Just curious, how much did you have to plane after the resawing? I resawed some stock the other day with the same blade and it seems I had to take off about 1/32 with the planer to get all the boards smooth. I don't know if that's good or not so good, but I wasn't complaining.

BTW, how was the game?

Bob

Bob,

Took off about the same as you, perhaps even a bit more. I don't know if that's good or not either, but it worked.

Springdale lost 21-7. LR Central out-springdaled Springdale. It was 7 to 7 into the 4th quarter and they just wore us out after that. Too many big 'ole boys. Couple of very costly turnovers as well.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh well. It was still a heck of a good season for them.

Bob

Looks like ya' done good

Terry .... nice work ..... can't wait to see the fence you built for this chore ...

got my riser block and had to custom make a guide rod .... Jet no longer made the hex style but a friend with a metal lathe got the hex stock and is turning the end for the guide tonight ...... got the new blades in also ... so waiting on you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Hello Everyone,

I finally got some time today to make my resaw fences for the new G0513 band saw. I'll post some pics of them and a article on their construction and use when I get a little more time. After I got the fences done I did some resawing.

I bought the new saw specifically to do some book matched door panels for a entertainment center for our living room. I have some tiger white
    oak sequenced boards that I have been saving specifically for this project. I really wanted the panels to turn out well and I think they did. I held my breath during this entire process. I sure didn't want to ruin one of these boards.

The pictures do not do justice to the actual grain of the wood, but hopefully you can get the idea. These panels are 1/4" thick, 11 3/4" wide and 48" long. Here they are after I got them planed.

I Perfromaxed them and have them stickered with some weight on them to make sure that nothing crazy happens before I get them in the stiles and rails. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get the doors done next weekend and also post my resawing article.

BTW....the new saw did great with the new Timberwolf 3 tpi 3/4" blade on this VERY tough white oak.

Terry