Thread: Dragon Rasps...now with handle!

Dragon Rasps...now with handle!

Posted a few weeks ago about some cool rasps I got from Stewart-McDonald Luthier Supply and was asked to post a pic. Here they are. I've since turned some Cocobolo handles for them (first time using the lathe, need to learn a lot more!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice handles.

Thanks for putting us on to these, Terry, they look wonderful. Do you know who makes them? Do you know whether they'll make some other shapes any time soon, such as curved?

Pam

Not sure WHO makes them but the Asain script tells me not here! As for shapes, this will do a better job explaining the different ones available:http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Fi...cut_Rasps.html . All I know is I've already put them to good use and I give'em a thumbs up!

I'd already looked on the StewMac site, but thought perhaps you'd be "connected." Could you photo the Asian writing? Maybe we can figure out at least the country.

Pam

It's clear in the 2nd photo I posted!

Terry,
    Your handle looks great. How do you like the rasps? Such a deal for a hand-cut rasp. Great photos too. The second photo sold me more than any web site sales photo. Thanks for sharing.
    rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

Great rasps! Another tool for my "must buy" list. Your handle is excellent. If that's your first work on a lathe, you're well on your way.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Great images, and thanks for the info. Do you think one needs both coarse and fine for shaping, or would fine do alone?
    Ken

I bought both, but before I bought them I asked the same question. I must say yes, you do need both. The coarse is good for removing a fair amount of material rather quickly and the fine does a nice job of setting you up for sanding by removing all the lines. I guess if you HAD to pick one, I would say the coarse because it would take forever to get anywhere with just the fine. But with a little price break for buying both, why buy one...right?
    By the way, thanks for the complement Don. I honestly had NO interest in the lathe but my Dad had one unopened sitting in his garage(travels a lot, not much free time). I had just bought the rasps and a neighbor gave me a box of files, so away I went! Not sure if I really NEED one but I have been really suprised at how much fun it can be!

Terry,
    I bought a used cheap lathe for making handles and such. and if I needed any thing round made I could do it I thought. But NOW after I had it for awhile a new lathe appeared in my shop and I seem to be spending most my time and money using it Be careful the don't call it a vortex for nothing .

BTW thanks for sharing these rasp I think I will pick a set up.

Bob