Thread: My Collected Wood

1. My Collected Wood

This is not for sale, this is for my personal use. I am buying a new Jet mini lathe and wonder if you guys have used similar woods. How do they turn. Big-leaf Maple, Myrtle, Alder, Redwood, Madrone, etc.....Do you have any favorite items you turned in these?

Working For The Future

Hate to tell ya, but all that stuff is totally worthless for turning!!! It is also highly dangerous for your health and your wallet!!!
    Just send it to me and I will see that it gets disposed of in the safest most environmentally friendly way

Isaiah 55:6-7

So far I have not found any wood that I don't like. They said zebrawood stinks. Ilike it. Oak, too open grained. I love it. Old 2X4? I love it. That's some serious nice wood you got there. Have fun.

Rich

LOL Jonathon.

I love me some Madrone and Redwood. I love to hate Myrtle. I cuss it the whole time I'm turning it.

You'll love turning all of them. If it ain't rotten there's no such thing as "bad wood" for turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy
    If it ain't rotten there's no such thing as "bad wood" for turning.
    I have one that I hate...Chinese Tallow. Pretty wood but I react to its "POISON".
    Dario

7. I also have wood that I react to poorly.....Bolivian Rosewood, and Myrtle make my face and eye swell, but California walnut [claro], especially the northern California subspecies common to native villiages can cause sores on my skill like poison oak. By the way, some of hte pictured wood is that actual type. I wear Ivy Block and a respirator when working with it.
    Working For The Future

hello
    Yes those are some nice hunks O wood there. be safe and have fun.
    Since you are new to turning please always wear a faceshield and step out of the way when you turn on the lathe. Don't ask how I know..........lol!
    I too react to rosewood, myrtle, cocobolo and some others so I try and be as careful as I can.
    Happy Turning
    Tony
    OK I'll play too. I am 1,962 miles away from Steve Schlumpf

Looks like you have some nice timbers there!! Have fun, and remeber safety. Not everybody is affected by some timbers. I have turned a lot of the timbers, that are supposedly "toxic" to some people, and never come out with anything. You might not be either

Anyway, show us some of the produce
    Joash
    Why do they say "an alarm going off," if it is really going on?

Joash

( insert drool here) . Dan it looks like you will have a great time with that wood. If you find yourself having too much fun ya can send whats left to me c/o Sagle Idaho post office general delivery and I will have the rest of the fun .
    John 3:16

Dan, be sure and post pics of your efforts after you get the Mini! Our local Woodcraft now carries many of those same exotics and I've been a bit leery to try a couple, as I don't know what they would look like finished or even how hard they are to turn. (Mostly been doing domestic species.) Now, get that lathe and get busy making some chips! We'll be waiting (im)patiently for your report on how hard/easy they are to turn, as well as the final results!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dan, They are all good wood to turn. I have about 20 big chuncks of myrtle to turn. Madrone is fun but very unstable. Redwood that i turned was very easy. I did not like the dust of redwood. Have fun.

Dan, nice looking inventory of blanks. This is just my opinion, all wood, maybe with a few exceptions for health related reasons, is good turning material. They all turn a bit different, but that is a part of the joy of turning. It is also a part of the learning experience as well. So, in short, Happy Spinning!!!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

14. Thanks guys. As i collect more I will post them. I love going into the woods to collect wood, not knowing what you will find.
    Working For The Future