Thread: Muddy shellac

Muddy shellac

I was going to use up some blonde shellac from a can that I've had around for a couple of years. There's no sediment at the bottom of the can, but the coloring has become a bit cloudy and the smell is different than expected. I applied some to the bottom of a table top and it seemed to go on smooth and with the expected coloration. Do you think it's ok to use? I would just go out and buy another can, but I'm not really comfortable with disposing of this stuff in the garbage. How does everyone else get rid of old solvents/finishes?

For disposal, in my area, you can take hazardous goods to the fire station and they will dispose of them. Your area may have a couple of times a year when they will collect this stuff too.

My understanding of shellac is that as it gets older it takes longer to dry and harden to the point that it won't harden at all. If it dries in a relatively short period of time and it hardens, it should be OK. Compare your drying time now to what it was when you bought it. If it's much longer, I'd toss it to be on the safe side. At least it's correctable by removing with alcohol and reappying new stuff if it doesn't work out. If you're not sure, I'd toss and buy new. I'm not sure about the "muddy" situation. Could you have contaminated it the last time your used it will sanding dust or stain?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

I just leave the old shellac can open, and let the alcohol evaporate. The remaining hardened shellac can then just be tossed in the trash.

When it doubt, throw it out. Finish is one of the least cost items in the project. You don't want to screw your project up for want of a few bucks. After all, it's the finish that gets the "oohs and aahs", not the jointery.

To discard, just pour it into a baking dish that contains kitty litter. When the alcohol evaporates the resulting solids are non-toxic. Just throw it away in the normal garbage. You can do that with any finish.
    Howie.........

All good advice above. After 2 years, I'd be VERY dubious about using....Use new shellac IMHO
    Jerry

Hello Keith,

I've had to remove quite a bit of old shellac to settle customer complaints.

I've had a kidney stone.

I'll take a kidney stone 3 out of 5 times over having to remove uncured - overage shellac.
    At least with the kidney stone there's an eventual end to the misery.

Two years is marginal at best. I'd toss it or open the lid and let it turn to a solid.

Thanks for all the advice! I stopped on my way home from work today and picked up another can of shellac. I'll leave the can open on the old stuff and throw it out once it solidifies.
    Last edited by Keith Hooks; 01-25-2007 at 7:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt
    Hello Keith,

I've had to remove quite a bit of old shellac to settle customer complaints.

I've had a kidney stone.

I'll take a kidney stone 3 out of 5 times over having to remove uncured - overage shellac.
    At least with the kidney stone there's an eventual end to the misery.

Two years is marginal at best. I'd toss it or open the lid and let it turn to a solid.
    Great post. I'm still laughing. And I'm not even sure it was meant to be funny.

Hello John,
    I'm mostly kidding.