Thread: table frustrations.

table frustrations.

Hi all;

Newbie here, not only to this site but to the finer points of woodworking.

Problem: I got an old oak table from my church. Measured 34" x 76". The legs measured 3 1/2" x 29". The table top is 1 1/4" thick.

I took the thing apart and made a round table top (34") with my router and a jig. I then took the legs and cut them down to 1 1/2" x 29".

Here's the problem: If I put the original four legs back underneath this table there won't be enough room for MY legs between the table legs, that is unless I cut one of my own legs off. Somehow that idea does not appeal to me....

I will have to go the pedestal route. I want to manufacture my own but have no idea how to go about doing it. I have a small table saw(10"), a 10" delta compound mitre saw, a drill press, my router and various other small tools.

Any suggestions on how to manufacture a pedestal?

Thanks

Why Not?

If the legs were placed at the circumfrence of the 34" circle they would be 24" apart - ignoring their thickness. If 24" is enough space and you got some of these metal brackets that allow the legs to splay outward, You could then make 4 tapered square cross section legs about 1 3/4" square at the top and maybe 1 1/4" at the bottom. (make a mock-up first for proportions). Otherwise, assuming that you've already ripped the legs, You could make a pedestal that consisted of four ~1" columns placed at the outer edges of a ~4" square. You would need a base structure for this to sit on. It could be 2 2 x 4's laid on the flat with half lap joint in the center. You would want these about 22" long to come within 6" of the table edge. This should be long enough to prevent tipping. Of course, you'd also need blocks at the end of each 2x4 to raise it off the floor. If you need explanation, don't be afraid to ask. Carl

18th century nut --- Carl

Hi Sven,

How about using three legs instead of four? It would widen the space between the legs and would still be stable.

Just my $.02.

Good luck,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery