Thread: Newbie wants to build a stool

Newbie wants to build a stool

Ok, so I am still very much a newbie, trying to set up a little shop for myself. One of my first project plans was to build a workbench which I have been procrastinating about for various reasons, but I realized the other day I don't even have any seating in my tiny garage. So I decided to take care of that issue first.

So, I want to build some sort of butt-holding apparatus. I know it's probably a really simple project for many, but I need baby steps here. Is there some place to get plans and nice instructions online for a simple stool? No fancy lathe work or anything please. At the same time I would like it to look somewhat presentable, not just a pile of 2x4s and plywood.

Blog Entries

My stool does two things!

Wood magazine or Workbench had plans for a stool that also serves as a wood support. I made one for my shop and it gets considerable use. It was a fairly easy project that you can handle with simple tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-16-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In the Neanderthal Forum here at SMC I have a thread about a recent visit with Alan Turner at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. Dave Anderson kindly posted a picture of Alan with one of the very nice (and very comfortable) stools that are there for students to use. Very stylish and very buildable. I'm considering building one or more similar seats for my own shop...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Her is a simple one I made that teaches the basics of chair making....it works well and can be modified into a taller stool...
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ighlight=stool
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mark, that design is the sort of thing I had in mind, and it looks like something I would be capable of doing. Can you provide any more detail about how it is assembled? I am not at the point yet where I can see a picture and know how to duplicate it. Hell I haven't built anything yet besides a couple of wobbly sawhorses.

The other two designs you guys mentioned are definitely nice, just not what I'm looking for.

Good luck with the project....

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Hans,
    The frame is joined with mortise and tenon joints...I would make a full scale drawing and then cut the pieces and lay them on top of the drawing. Mine is traditional mortise and tenon so add 1 1/2" to each end that has a tenon. If it is loose M&T then the sizes on the drawing are good. Stool height is about 18" for a low stool...like chair height
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Loeblich
    Ok, so I am still very much a newbie, trying to set up a little shop for myself. One of my first project plans was to build a workbench which I have been procrastinating about for various reasons, but I realized the other day I don't even have any seating in my tiny garage. So I decided to take care of that issue first.

So, I want to build some sort of butt-holding apparatus. I know it's probably a really simple project for many, but I need baby steps here. Is there some place to get plans and nice instructions online for a simple stool? No fancy lathe work or anything please. At the same time I would like it to look somewhat presentable, not just a pile of 2x4s and plywood.
    Hans.
    Nothing simple about a well made stool, or chair for that matter. What could be more simple, 4 legs, 4 cross rails and a seat, right? Therin lies the deception.

Tage Frid has a nice stool/chair in his book on furniture making. It has all of the necessary drawings