Thread: Jet planer leaking oil

Jet planer leaking oil

I was doing my post-weekend cleaning last night and noticed my jet planer is leaking oil--looks like the gear box gasket is leaking. I've only had the planer a year, but it spent 5-6 years in a cabinet shop and received heavy use. I took a quick look at it and it looks like I'll have to take the feed roller and cutter sprockets off to split the gear box case. Has anyone ever done that? I'm hoping I can simply remove the sprockets and screws holding the two halves of the gear box together and split the case. Don't want to get into removing gears and such.
    Dennis

Which model planer? You may be able to find a manual for it here.

If you have the 15" planer, you may not be able to find the manual online. (I didn't see it...) However, you should be able to split the gearbox by removing the chain, a single sprocket, the knob and 5 hex screws. You should not need to remove any gears. You'll probably need to replace an oil seal (JWP15H-333) when you replace the gasket (JWP15H-336). I would recommend you call them for assistance and a manual at 800-538-8665.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Thanks for the information Kevin, sounds like I can handle it with no problem. I have a manual, but it just covers adjustments and parts diagram--no disassembly
    Dennis

Paul Kunkel Guest
    Dennis, have you tried just tightening the bolts that hold the case halves together. I had a leak on my Griz. and tightening fixed it-2 yrs ago, and still tight.

My 15" Griz did the same thing about a year ago, 6 months after I got it. Not a spot, after tightening the bolts.

Good Luck.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I'll give that a try first, I didn't even take the cover off last night, just loosened it up and took a quick peek underneath. I couldn't lift it very far because of the depth adjust wheel.
    Dennis

Like the others above, my 15" Delta was leaking......a quick tightening of the bolts and not a drop has escaped in over a year. Guess they just don't torque 'em real good from the factory.

Ron

My Delta leaking was a while back....

....and it was still under warranty....even had a tech guy come out and fix it.......all on Deltas dime ! She's A-ok now.

What I recall him doing was replacing the *O* rings and adding more oil to the chamber.

Now that I read this, I wonder if all he had to do was tighten some nuts?

Scott