Thread: Kerosene space heater problem

Kerosene space heater problem

During a recent Ice Storm, I was unable to find clear K-1 Kerosene for a week or so. For about 3 or 4 days I burned diesel in my space heater in the shop. It did fine and there was no appreciable smoke or smell. Gradually, the flame would not burn as high and after the storm I was able to get kerosene again. The kerosene I purchased is colored red and although I have cleaned the wick by burning it dry several times and brushing it, the flame remains low. The wick appears soft and clean, but something is certainly wrong. Has anyone experienced this?
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

'May be crud from the diesel on the wick, even though you may not see it. Do you have a replacement wick to try?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hill
    During a recent Ice Storm, I was unable to find clear K-1 Kerosene for a week or so. For about 3 or 4 days I burned diesel in my space heater in the shop. It did fine and there was no appreciable smoke or smell. Gradually, the flame would not burn as high and after the storm I was able to get kerosene again. The kerosene I purchased is colored red and although I have cleaned the wick by burning it dry several times and brushing it, the flame remains low. The wick appears soft and clean, but something is certainly wrong. Has anyone experienced this?
    Mike
    Mike,
    I haven't experienced your problem but a wick change may be in order. I have read where other folks have burned diesel and have had various problems. Next time you have a kerosene shortage, try stores, they sometimes have it but charge an arm and a leg for it.
    David B

New wick

Well it looks like a new wick is in order. I'll try HD where I bought the heater, but will probably have to order from the Manufacturer. HD gets $35.00 for a 5 gallon can and McCoy's locally gets over $8.00 per gallon! The red kerosene came out of a drum from a local Tool Rental Store.

Oh well, burning the diesel was worth it, I was able to work for those 3 or 4 days

Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Mike,
    It's been my experience through 3 kero heates, that every time I burn-dry the wick and clean it, it burns lower. Probably taking off a little length each time with the bushing. I know I'm taking fibers off when I clean it.

Any hard black on the wick won't let the fuel saturate it, you probably know that.

When I change wicks, I put it in about 1/8" to 1/4" higher than normal, and just crank it down.

Red kero is all I can find in PA anymore, and it seems to burn the same as clear.

Good Info

Tom: Thanks for the reply and I am glad to hear the red kerosene burns OK. I'll try a new wick and see what happens.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Mike,
    The only caution in installing the wick higher is making sure it retracts fully to shut it off. Look to see how deep the present wick retracts. I had one old one that "percolated" for a few minutes on shutoff because it didn't go low enough. Re-adjusting a wet wick is a messy pain. Test it outdoors.

>> Red kero is all I can find in PA anymore, and it seems to burn the same as clear.

AFAIK, the two are the same. The red dye is put into kerosene to indicate that it has not been taxed for for transportation uses. If a trucker is found with red fuel in his tanks he is subject to some serious fines.
    Howie.........

petroleum wax has clogged it
    replace the wick

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    >> Red kero is all I can find in PA anymore, and it seems to burn the same as clear.

AFAIK, the two are the same. The red dye is put into kerosene to indicate that it has not been taxed for for transportation uses. If a trucker is found with red fuel in his tanks he is subject to some serious fines.
    Interesting. The only stuff I've seen around here is the clear. HD, Lowes, etc. carry it - very expensively. Nearly all the local gas stations have it. Cost is around $2.79 per gallon at the gas stations. Well over twice that at HD, etc.

Out of curiosity, why would a trucker want to run kerosene at $2.79 when diesel is selling for $2.55 at the same stations? Certainly not economical. Now home heating oil - which is died red - at $1.97 a gallon (bought a hundred gallons just yesterday) would maybe be a different story...