Thread: How much is my wood worth?

How much is my wood worth?

I have some old oak that came out of some barns I demolished. I believe it is red and black oak. I may use it myself, or I may sell it, depending on it's value. Can anybody direct me to where I can find out how to grade it, and what it would be worth?

I have 2x6's, and 1x material. Some of it is straight, some of it has a bow to it. It's all de-nailed.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have on this.

I got access to two barns this past summer. All it cost me was work and my time. May be worth $$$ to the right buyers. Any of it red painted barn wood?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Barn-Wood-Boards-White-Oak-1000-Board-ft-Lumber_W0QQitemZ120078429281QQihZ002QQcategoryZ712 31QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<<<

Mike, I didn't quite understand your post... but anyway, some of it has a little red paint on it...

I have a friend in Bend, OR, that has recently paid $13 per board foot for old barn wood that was full of nail holes, scrathes, old paint, ... They used it for flooring where folks really like the looks of the nail holes, scratches, saw marks, etc. The biggest concerns for them were that the wood was solid without splits and of hard wood. Not sure how the prices translate to your area, however.

Wow Pat, that's amazing! I can't imagine getting $13 per board foot. Thanks for the info however.

I'm watching the ebay aution that Cliff refered to. I'm really curious how this will turn out. The pics are familiar to the scenes I have been around in my barn demolition hobby.

Watch out for lead, my friends.

I did 10 barn salvage projects 2 years ago and had more timbers, barn board and grainery boards than one man could use in a life time. Is your wood worth a lot- Yes- to the right buyer. Most people looking for this sort of wood go to the salvage companies to get it and pay big bucks. Trying to sell it on your own is a whole other story. I had a large number of people interested but knowone came with money. I would say keep it for your self and use it on a special project. The stuff is a pain to work with as you need to metal detect every inch, check for dirt etc in it. Other than marks in the wood from years of use- after being dressed you mostlikely won't see any difference between new dry lumber. I sold everything for $.50 bft to a company specializing in this. That was timbers, barn board etc. Sad to say but where do you keep all of it? 30' maple 12" x 12" are not that easy to fit into any building. I still have a wide selection of lumber left and can't give it away for .50 bft. That Canadian eh!
    Adam
    Adam

Hey Adam,
    Thanks so much for that reply. That was really a fear of mine realized. I know the market is out there, but everyone says it's hard to tap into. Hopefully I can make my projects work with what I have, 'cause it might be tough to get rid of it otherwise, and after the work put into it, I don't think I will be burning it !!!

Thanks again ya'll...

reclaimed lumber

Beaudrow,

The short and long of recliamed lumber. First off I make my living strictly from the reclaimed lumber business. Your situation has a few problems that may make it not worth your time. Yes the lumber is worth a ton of money. And yes reclaimed furniture sells for a ton of money. A table can catch on average with no fancy skills any where from $1,200 for oak to $8,000 for walnut etc. The catch for your case is that companies like myself never pay for lumber we tear down the barns, silos, etc ourselves or have our crews do it, so selling to a reclaimed miller may not be your best bet. See pioneermillworks.com they do buy lumber in large quanities if it passes inspection. Second you will tear your tools up working with this material if not first preped correctly, problems in the wood nails, hog dust, lead, dirt, hardware, metal dust, termites etc. do not store this wood inside until it is clean. This wood generaly is air dryed to about 15% you will need to kiln dry it for furniture you can hope best for 10% at about 120 deg for about five days. Next problem you will spend alot of time and money in marketing to find the high dollar clients to buy this wood. Such as architects, designers, eatery establishments etc. Your best bet is to resaw the beams and sell the 4/4 for flooring if you can't find a buyer for the beams localy they make great mantels etc. Keep a decent amount for yourself and make a few harvest tables and take picts to a few specialty stores and see if anyone is interested in a consigment deal you will be shocked by the money these products can bring in if marketed correctly. Mountainlumber.com will give prices for their material on line. Also oldwoodworkshop.com will give you insdusty rates on the material that you have reclaimed. If you would like any more info on how to handle this wood p.m. me and I will give you my number and would be happy to give you some pointers.
    Good luck, and don't be afraid to try something new, old barns are gold minds.

Another idea

Another idea.. I know of someone that took apart an old barn, and he called a restuarant chain which uses old barnwood on their restuarants. I'm sure he didn't get top dollar, but they did buy it and haul it away.