Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Template material?

Template material?

I'm wanting to make up some templates for different projects (paddle making right now) and I'm trying to find a good material for making the templates. From wondering around lowes, it seems like thin plexiglass might do the trick. But I'm a little concerned about how well it will cut to the shapes I want (and it's price).

I've thought about masonite, but I don't have anything to cut it to get a smooth line.

I thought about using cardboard as well, but I'd like it to be more durable.

I'd like to find some thick rubbery plastic sheets that I could cut with a knife of scissors.

???

Thanks!

Luke

What about tub surround material/shower walls?

I've seen sheets at the BORG that are like what you describe.

They appear to be a cross between plastic & rubber and were less than 1/4" thick.

-Mike

I'm not sure what you mean exaclty. Shower curtain material?

And what is the BORG?

L

Luke,
    BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant

No, not shower curtain - but sheets (4'x8' or 3'x6' I can't recall) that are waterproof and used to build a shower surround.

Hope that helps,
    -Mike
    PS 1/4" baltic birch plywood or luan plywood may work too.

1/4" baltic birch is excellent for templates

Masonite!

Tempered Masonite is all I use for templates. For template routing I use 1/4 inch and for tracing template I use 1/8 inch. Layout the item on paper or photocopy the original, glue it to the masonite, cut out straight edges with the tablesaw and then use a jig or band saw do the curvy parts. A little 100 grit sandpaper and some sanding blocks or dowel rods finishes off the edges nice and smooth. Drill a hanging hole in it and hang them on the wall up high when not in use.

Mac
    Mac

Luke -

Any of the materials mentioned will work for a template. Maybe you can find a piece (of whatever) that has a damaged corner and get a good deal on it.

As far as cutting goes, you could use a jigsaw or even a coping saw to cut the basic shape. Then use a file or rasp to dress the edge smooth. What will you be running against the template? A router w/ guide?

Regards,
    Ted

I most often use MDF for this purpose. 1/2" and 1/4" MDF is really inexpensive, easy to work and makes very nice templates. Now, if you're looking for material to make "tracing" templates, rather than those used for machining with a router, etc., then thin, fleixble sheeting might be a better choice for "permanent" templates. Check with your local plastics supplier for suggestions...they will be in the yellow pages.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have several 2x4 foot pieces of 1/4" MDF that I use for templates. It cuts and shapes easily.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I have used hardboard. It holds up well and easy to machine.

"I've thought about masonite, but I don't have anything to cut it to get a smooth line."

Then how will you do it w/plexiglas?

"BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant"

So *that's* where that came from - I thought it was a reference to us (or the mom and pops) being assimilated. Oh - maybe it was

You might want to try mylar. That's what most of the auto makers use for templates to make onesy-twosy parts. They plot directly onto mylar, cut to the lines, and lay directly on metal (or whatever) to transfer center points, datum locations, or whatever. It's also clear which has the benefit of being able to orient grain easily to the template. I'm pretty sure you could get this at blueprint supply type outfits, or maybe even art supply stores.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz
    "I've thought about masonite, but I don't have anything to cut it to get a smooth line."

Then how will you do it w/plexiglas?

"BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant"

So *that's* where that came from - I thought it was a reference to us (or the mom and pops) being assimilated. Oh - maybe it was
    With a plexiglass knife.

L

Ah. What does one look like, and how thick can it cut?

Re mylar, Tap Plastics may have it; they do have rolls of clear acetate film, which might work just as well.

I use MDF (as Jim Becker originally said) for almost anything involving a template. 1/4" baltic birch works great also. There are many options that will work, it just depends on cost and availability. Good Luck!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.