Thread: Disc sander purchase?

Disc sander purchase?

Greetings All,

I am looking for advice on disc sanders. I have a drum sander (Performax), finish palm sander, ROS, OSS. My thinking for purchasing a Disc sander is for cleaning up edges on 45 degree cuts, fine tuning the mitre joints on picture frames, and being able to even out the edges of wheels (with a shop made jig). I think I would prefer a bench top model disc type without the spindle or belt since I have these capabilities already so don't need them.

I will probably attach 120 or 150 grit paper and leave that on. Would be nice to have a h&L style for changing out paper but don't believe they are made yet!!?? Anyway, the sander would be dedicated to the above mentioned purposes so adhesive backed will do just fine.

Any ideas on a Disc sander you have good/bad experiences with? Any suggestion on alternatives to my ideas? Appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Paul S.

Forget the disk sander...buy an edge sander.

I have a Grizzly G7297 12" disc sander. That sucker is really heavy - I just set it on top of a bench for use and it does not move. The tilt table seems to hold its setting. The miter guage is crap and the slot is non- standard, but there are work arounds for that. I had to re-tap the holes for the bolts that hold on the fan cover - the cover was twisted during shipping, the result of poor package design. All in all, it does what I want it to do for not a huge amount of money.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have the Jet. It is clearly the nicest of the common brands, but comes at a price. Large cast iron table with std 3/4" miter slot and a good DC port were the significant features that pushed me to the Jet.
    Jay St. Peter

I have looked at many edge sanders but none were bench top models and the cost was more than I wanted to pay. $200-400. Been reading very good reviews for Jet. Not so good reviews for Grizzley and Delta, which suprised me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stroik
    Greetings All,

My thinking for purchasing a Disc sander is for cleaning up edges on 45 degree cuts, fine tuning the mitre joints on picture frames, and being able to even out the edges of wheels (with a shop made jig). I think I would prefer a bench top model disc type without the spindle or belt since I have these capabilities already so don't need them.
    I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-31-300-1.../dp/B0000CCXTG

My only complaint is that this one has the miter slot only parallel to the disk. The bigger one with the enclosed cabinet base has a different table that also has a miter slot perpendicular to the disk. This would be used for attaching a pin that you can use to sand disks round. I looked at service net. iirc, the larger table was about $80.

brian

Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the Jet JDS-12B 1 hp 12-inch disc with circle jig and miter gauge included. Amazon has it for $311.00 with no shipping charges.

My disc sander is part of a belt/disc combo and I use mine for some of the same reasons you're buying. One tip I might mention for truing up the frame miters: Tape opposing sides together and do both at the same time. It's real easy to get frames just a hair out of square due to one side being 1/64" longer than the other (DAMHIKT).
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the tip Doug. I do run into the problem of uneven lengths as I do not yet have a mitersaw bench setup with stop guides.

How about a hand plane and a shooting board? Minimal cost, no noise and best of all no dust in the air.
    Jim