Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM 3520 vs. Oneway 1640 (2HP)

PM 3520 vs. Oneway 1640 (2HP)

Is the $1000 premium in price (~$3.8k) for the Oneway justified over the ($2.8k) price of the PM 3520 from a performance standpoint?

I am looking at these two models as possible candidates for my shop and I would like to get some inputs from the experts.

I don't want to over do the purchase being a hobbyist but I don't want to outgrow it either, I will be doing a mix of spindle and bowl turning.

How does the Nova DVR XP stack up against these two as well? Probably comparing apples to oranges with that one.

Hi Mac. What do you plan to turn? All three lathes you mentioned are good ones but you are right about apples and oranges.

It's hard to imagine outgrowing a PM 3520. It has a great track record, all the cool bells and whistles, and is usually on the standard "upgrade" path for most turners.

That said, the Oneway is an outstanding lathe. IMO it outclasses the PM in several respects but you're still comparing one Lexus to another.

The Nova DVR is a great lathe too. But I wouldn't put it in the same basket as the other two.
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 01-27-2007 at 12:44 AM.

I'd probably go for capacity with money not being the driver. But the 3520 seems to be the bargain anymore.
    Maybe because I have never turned on a Oneway and I own a DVR XP but I don't see why a 1640 is so much better that it is not even considerable to be mention in the same sentence. If you run the DVR on 220 you get 2HP, they have the same swing, and you have about 2 grand left over to buy other things. Some of which would be a bed extension and the outboard turning attachment and building a real stand. Which will get you in the neighborhood of the 3520.
    I know I'll probably be scolded for suggesting such a thing, but I guess I just can't see spending nearly 4K on a 16" swing lathe. Specially as a hobbyist.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

I've turned on the PM and the Oneway. I just don't see how, on a value basis, the Oneway can be seen as the better deal. The PM was just as smooth and felt, if anything, even more solidly built. The PM's a tank. With it's sliding headstock, you can turn a bowl that goes all the way to the floor. You can do the same with the Oneway. So, you won't outgrow one before the other in terms of capacity.

Given that in terms of build quality and capacity the lathes are very close, what makes one better for you is which one fits you and your turning style the best. Do you prefer how one lathe's banjo works over the other? Can you live with the on/off switch location on the Powermatic or do you feel you "need" the ability the Oneway provides to move the power switch around? Only you can answer those kind of questions. I can tell you this, there's no way I'd pay $1,000 more for another lathe over the Powermatic -- I just can't imagine liking another one enough more to justify the difference. That doesn't mean someone else might not like the Stubby enough to justify it's additional cost. I won't think the other guy was wrong. We just have different tastes and budgets.

HTH.

Hi Mac,

I went through the same decission making process about 2 years ago except mine was comparing the 2436 to the 3520a. Both great machines, with some very sutble differences. As previous turners have said, you won't be sorry about your purchase based upon capability, power or accomplishment no matter which lathe you chose but, if you are really just jonesing to have a Oneway in your shed then chosing yellow will leave you wishing you'd bought white. I have the PM...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra
    Is the $1000 premium in price (~$3.8k) for the Oneway justified over the ($2.8k) price of the PM 3520 from a performance standpoint?
    The PM can be had for about $2500 with free shipping from the Tool Nut. No matter which one you pick it will most likely be last lathe you'll ever need.

I'm betting that Andy will say if it's white...it'll turn better.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am sure all of you guys know that this little hobby or obssession more likely is quite addicting. I am trying to reign in with some sanity and not overspend so that the little woman doesn't stage a violent coup in response. Good thing is I am not in a hurry, bad thing is I don't have physical access to the Oneway.

Anyone have a feel for resale value?

I leaning toward the PM just because it seems to make the most sense. Even though the color is kind of disgusting.

You guys all know where I stand on this one.

The versatility on the 1640 (especially with the outboard extension) cannot be beat. Nuff said.

But here's an interesting tidbit about resale. A guy in my club just sold a ten year old Oneway 2036 for more than he paid for it.
    Only the Blue Roads

If you do mostly bowls, probably you would like the sliding headstock of the PM.
    The Oneway inboard capacity is only 16". If you want to do a larger size platter on the outboard side, the optional outboard accessories, outboard attachment, tall banjo add up some real money.

I have the DVR; it is not in the same class.

Take a class at Arrowmont, you will have the chance to play with most of the 1st class lathes in one place. You can drive them hard. Nothing is better than your own personal experience.

Talking about resale value, if one can buy a brand new PM with factory warranty for $2500 with free shipping; I doubt people would pay a whole lot more for a used Oneway 1640. I think the 2436 may hold its value better, because there is no value competition in that class. Lathe is a heavy machinery, you are limited to the local demand on a used lathe. Any shipping cost is always considered into the sale price.

Gordon

I've got two of the three

Late last year, I bought a PM 3520B and a Nova DVR XP (I have a shop in SC and one in VA) The first one was to replace my Vega 1553 and the second to replace my Delta (forget the model no. but it's the relatively cheap one). Both were great replacements, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be a PM. It's absolutely great, incredibly sturdy and can be serviced locally. The Nova is nice but... You either have to buy a micky mouse stand or build a good one-I opted for the latter.
    The PM is standard 220V while the Nova is standard 110. You can alter it into 220 but then you have to worry about the warning from the manufacturer to beware of power outages or spikes because it is computer driven. I can get a surge protector for a 110, but would need a whole house protector to protect the 220 V outlet. You can tell the difference between 110 and 220!! One great feature that the Nova has is that when you turn it off and then turn it on without having cut back the speed, the computer automatically puts it a predetermined speed. The factory setting is about 500rpm but you can change it. Once I put in a huge block of wood on the PM and watched the whole machine skip almost a foot. I now try very hard to lower the speed whenever I shut it off.
    As for the Oneway, my experience with that company has been outstanding. They make very very good stuff and back it very competently. Those friends who have a 2436 machine love it, but it is $$$$$. If you are going to do professional work get a big Oneway. If not, you won't be disappointed with a PM. The fact is that some excellent turners use the PM and do fantastic stuff with it.
    Good luck. HB

A couple questions that may help you make up your mind:
    • Is your shop wired for 220v? If not get the Nova DVR XP it will run on 110.
    • If yes there's 220, then you have the pick of the other two.
      • How big a diameter piece are you likely to turn?
      • More than 16? PM
        • Yes, the Oneway will do outboard turning to 24, but that's outboard. NO TAILSTOCK AVAILABLE.
      • How long are the spindles you want to turn?
    I bought a NOVA DVR, it weighed 192 lbs without the stand. I got it home, hadn't even opened it when I came across an add on Amazon for the PM 3520A. I took the DVR back and ordered the PM. By the time I paid tax and bought the outboard turning rig for the Nova, I was within $50 of the PM price from Amazon (I didn't know about tool nut at the time).

I have been very happy with my PM. Yes, the color is really ugly, but if it bothers you that much paint it another color. Say Chevy Orange or something.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't kick a Oneway out of my shop, but I'd be in serious trouble with my wife when she found out how much I spent.

We all want the best lathe that we can have in our shop, I'm just not sure that I would go all the way up to a Oneway for a 16" swing. The 2436 is another matter, but it competes poorly with the Stubby in my opinion for a bowl lathe. But then Stubby is really out of my price range.

The reason most of us start spending $2K+ on lathes is the desire for greater swing (Tim Taylor's MORE POWER) or slower speeds for the big blanks (I still remember with fear my Delta 46-715, bottom speed 550 RPM, 'walking' around the shop with 400 lbs of cement on the legs while outboard turning a 15" block ) I don't have that problem with my PM.

Other options to further confuse the issue
    NOVA has come out with a new model (1624-44) that is not, variable speed, but has a very slow bottom speed (214 RPM) and is only $1K. For the Hobbyist, it is essentially the same as the DVR XP without VS. Available from WoodCraft with a G3 Chuck (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20011). It replaces the Nova 3000 that was a very popular lathe that was discontinued a couple years ago. Still has a 16" swing and you can get an outboard turning post for it just like the DVR. You could out grow this lathe, but if you did, I'd say buy a new motor and controller to put VS on it. A lot of 3000 owners did and if they sell their lathe its for at least original value before the upgrade. You probably won't need VS for a couple years unless you get to turning a lot of large pieces.

PM Links
    Here are a couple links for Powermatic related reviews, enhancements, etc.

PM3520 Bed Extension Alternative

Link to the AAW forum removed (aeh) . This one is very thought provoking for me and I may attempt something like it in a couple years.

Powermatic 3520 Tips, Reviews, Sources, Links
    Link to the AAW forum removed. (aeh)

Whatever choices you make, I wish you long life, a long time turning, and great enjoyment of whatever new toy you choose.

May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 01-27-2007 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted per the TOS.

Brodie Brickey

As for resale: I watched for over a year the resale values of lathes while I was trying to make my decision. The Oneway holds it resale value very well. If it's taken care of it will bring almost retail. That being said you can find great deals when someone has passed away or is in a real hurry to sale. There was an excellent deal(and may still be available) just a week or so ago on Oneways website in their Classified forum for a 1640 with the large outboard attachment, tailstock riser block and extra banjo for 3500. In my opinion a great deal and probably already sold. Most other Oneways I looked at were only a few hundred less than retail and often already sold. PM's although not the B series were anywhere from 1200 to 1500(but again these were the A model). There is a Vicmarc VL300 longbed for sale right nowin SC for 2200 which is a great deal. In my mind and after having used various lathes I think the Oneway and Vicmarc are better than the PM. The Oneway with Outboard attachment give you a much broader range of what you can turn, if you use the tailstock(for large out of balance blanks). Me myself, the decision came down to the Oneway, VL300, VB36, and the Stubby. Any of those would have satisified me. Space knocked out the Oneway and VL300. I decided after turning and playing with a VB that it would've required me to build a stand all the way around it to get me at the height I needed. I settled on the Stubby because of the footprint, performance and the sliding swiveling bed. It's perfect for me. The PM just didn't perform for me the way the others did, I didn't like the dropped extension(for turning larger than over the ways) and honestly I didn't like the color. Brian(just my 2 cents)

Brodie,
    Oneway does have a riser block so you can use the tailstock on the outboard side. Just thought I'd correct that part of your Oneway 1640 statements.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff
    Brodie,
    Oneway does have a riser block so you can use the tailstock on the outboard side. Just thought I'd correct that part of your Oneway 1640 statements.
    Brian
    Brian,

Thank you. I was unaware of that. I've seen the 2436's in action at various symposiums but haven't turned on them.

Regards,

Brodie

Brodie Brickey