Thread: Craftsman 22401 bandsaw owners

Craftsman 22401 bandsaw owners

Have any of you experienced a side to side wooble from the saw being top heavy? I think mine is coming from the stand cause the stand walls are kinda thin and flexing a bit?? The base doesnt move because I though I needed to shim it and thats how I noticed the stand flexing. If you have found this what did you do to remedy it? Thanks

I also have the 22401 and don't seem to have the wobble you describe. However, as I've only had it for a week, I'll keep an eye open for it.

Mine is installed on and bolted to a Delta mobile base (the unit requiring 4 pieces of 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" wood stringers). The only wobble I see is when I tug on the table and the entire machine moves a bit, including the mobile base.
    As long as it doesn't cause a problem when in use, I won't worry about it.
    Carry on, regardless.

Make sure you installed the cross brace at the top near the door. I left that out and had the exact same problem, had to take it back apart and installed it. No flex at all now.

Cool

You might also check to see if any of the many bolts that hold the base all together are tight.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I made some cuts last night and the wooble doesnt seem to affect this. I went through and tightened all the base bolts but didnt help much. The brace is there. It just bugs me cause it has a slight wooble when I grab the table and and give a push side to side,but I can live with it I guess.

As this type of machine is top-heavy, all of its ilk will exhibit the same tendency. In fact, I believe Grizzly expressly recommends bolting to the floor to eliminate tip-over.
    Also, I believe someone indicated the problem (and vibration) was reduced by placing 50 lb. sandbags in the cabinet. While this should help, I don't believe anything other than reinforcing the base-plate by welding and rigid anchoring will eliminate the tendency completely. The stamped-steel base plate alone allows enough flex to produce this problem. I don't think it is the cabinet structure.
    Carry on, regardless.

Top heavy

I have the Rikon 10-325 and have a similar issue. Most of the weight is on top of the bolted-together base sitting on a another portable base. I don't find this affects function. The wobble could perhaps become a problem if a heavy piece were perched on one edge of the table, but so far I haven't had a problem. I think it's just the nature of the beast, especially on mobile bases.

Curt

Agreed.
    although there is a "Box structure" under the sheet metal base/platform, it is still just relatively thin (I'd guess about 16 gage) sheet-metal. My mobile base is more rigid than the platform the base cabinet is bolted to and when I shake the machine, the mobile base shows no sign of movement. The "wobble" seems to be because the platform deflects.

I'm not going to worry about it until it causes a problem. I can always MIG-weld two (2) 1-1/8" X 1-1/8" X 1/8" angle-iron braces securing the bottom of the cabinet to the extreme edges of the platform to improve the rigidity of the entire structure.
    Carry on, regardless.