Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Stones or Tormek?

15,000 grit difference

" Steve, can you tell a difference between the 8000 and 12,000 or 15,000? Those high grit stones are pricey!"

Martin, depending on the wood and the size of the iron or chisle, yes I can tell the difference between 8000 and 15,000 as a final stone. Does it MAKE a difference at the end of the day, no it doesn't. But the mirror like shine the 15,000 stone puts on a 1" chisle is pretty!!

My chisels and plane irons are more than sharp enough off the Tormek for most woodworking. Being somewhat anal, I give them a few swipes with an 8000 grit waterstone after sharpening with the Tormek. If you only use your tools and are careful with them you will probably never need a grinder. However, if you buy just one buggered up antique chisel or plane iron a grinder will be an invaluable tool for refurbishing old edge tools.
    Dennis

3. Gee, call me silly, but like Cliff above, I use oilstones, specifically a set of 3 Norton oilstones that came in a plastic rotating case that holds the oil bath; corse, medium and fine (India) stones. Couldn't tell you what the grits are, but I just walk chisels thru the grits freehand, flatten the back, give it a whirl on a buffing wheel and a compound charged leather strop and they're good to go. Takes about 3 minutes or so. Every couple of years I'll re-set the angle with a jig scary sharp wise, but that's about it. I used to worry about mirror finishes, until I read what Tag Frid had to say about sharpening in his book; that's when I bought the oilstones.

Rn