Thread: Delta 14" Bandsaw dust collection??

Question Delta 14" Bandsaw dust collection??

Does anyone have any ideas on how to hook up a 4" dust collection hose to a Delta 14" bandsaw? The factory dust port is about 1 & 1/4" and does almost no good. I have the 1 & 1/2 HP Oneida cyclone and it really needs good airflow to work properly. I have looked at poking (holesaw) a 4" hole in the cast iron frame just below the lower blade support. There is a location there that is just about big enough, but it would be right into the frame itself and I am concerned about weakening it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

CPeter

If you choose to add a 4" port directly to the lower portion of the saw DO NOT drill the cast iron. The port should go in the steel lower door. Any alteration of the cast iron can be bad news for your saw.

As an alternative, Delta makes an optional 5" port (50-239) that replaces the ridiculously small standard port that comes with the saw. It's not easy to find, but when last I looked, Iturra Design had it in their catalog. You can contact them at 888-722-7078. They do not have a web site.

I made a similar port for my Jet 14" bandsaw out of clear Lexan. (poor pictures below) It works great, although I may replace it with something more like the Delta referenced above. Why? My port will not allow the table to tilt nor the lower door to open without removing it. No big deal, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought the 5" attachment made by Delta, I was able to get it mail order from Hiland Hardware in Atlanta. It works pretty good considering I am currently just shoving a 4" flex how in to the opening at this point. I haven't run any pipes yet.

It is getting about 90%, and will probably inprove when properly hooked up.

The other option is to cut to sheet metal door and mount one at the bottom. The replacement doors are only about $30 dollars if you screwed it up.

I WOULD NOT CUT OR DRILL THE CASTING.

Good luck.

Cool

So it's not a Delta, but same difference, I think. Here's a pic of my "solution". Not 100%, but a world apart from using the stock piece of garbage on the front of my Jet 14" which I think, is almost identical to your Delta. 4" dc port, angled down and hooked up to the DC system. Took all of about 20 min. to "design" and execute. 'Course, recently I've gone a step further in helping dust collection on the bandsaw: I'm ditching the Jet and getting a Laguna! I hear the dust collection works pretty good on them.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dust collection for Delta 14" bandsaw

Here is some phots of the sheet metal adapter from Iturra Design that I purchased for my bandsaw.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Daniel

Do you have an address for Iturra Design? Thanks

Jay

Check out Terry Hatfield's shop page. I did the same thing on my Grizzley and it works well.

George

Amazon did carry the sheet metal one. That's where I got mine a couple of years ago. My little 1 horse collector doesn't get it all even though it is close to the saw. Maybe I should rephrase and say that most of what goes through the table is caught unless the blade brings it back around. You need some suction as open as the affair is. The "feeling" is that it gets maybe 85% of the dust. And it did a better job before I upped the blade speed. Hmmm... I just thought of that.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Do you have an address for Iturra Design?
    See my post near the top of this thread for Iturra contact info.