Thread: shop windows

shop windows

My shop is a one-time garage, shed-roofed, sturdily but crudely built by the owners a long time ago. I've put windows--professionally built, unprofessionally installed--in some walls. Right now I want to replace four small old shop-built windows along one wall with four bigger windows, for light, for a view of the woods and the sea while I work, and (when open) for more ventilation in summer.

Local window-makers will charge me $2,000 for what I want (four windows, double-paned, each ten square feet). I suspect I can build them for a lot less, but not only do I know nothing about window building, I can't even find a good book.

Any suggestions? Or should I just accept that windows are something it no longer makes sense to build at home?

Ken:
    We do adaptive reuse of old buildings and since we are often required to repair exsisting windows (like 5% original left) we graduated to building alot of the replacement windows ourselves. Tools: nothing fancy -router table, table saw, mortiser; portable to go from job to job. One man can build 6-8 pairs of simple sash in a day. Either FWW or FHB just had an article a few months back. Build your own, save a ton of money, faster turn around time and you will be amazed how easy once you get going. Lumber- Doug Fir and choose the tighter grain and straight boards. Any questions, let me know.

Many thanks Greg. My tool set will be very different (I'm on the Neanderthal forum for a reason!), but I'm glad to hear it's a reasonable proposition. I'll find that article.

Perhaps you can find some "used windows" in your area that would do the job. And I hate to say it, but there are stock windows available at the 'borg that might not be your first choice for the house, but could be a reasonable choice for your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Does your city have a habitat for humanity resale store? They usually have a lot of mistmatched windows donated by contractors and they sell for pennies on the dollar.
    Dennis