Thread: Shop Visitor - Martin Shupe!

Shop Visitor - Martin Shupe!

I was blessed by Martin Shupe's company for most of the morning today. He's in town to see relatives and managed to squeek out some time to come by "the shop." A super nice guy. He brought his new smoother plane and I put him to work with it too! (If he could have only stayed longer... ) Thanks for coming by Martin, I enjoyed the time!

The first picture is me & Martin (on the right). (Apologize for the wife's "shaky" camera). The second is Martin giving his Ray Iles smoother a work out on some mahogany. That's a niiiiiice plane. He let me test drive it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man a guy comes to visit and you put him to work...I know where I wont be visiting if I ever get to Katy TX

You know I was expecting a sketchup drawing of the work he did too

Seriously, its always fun to get visitors, thanks for sharing the pics.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Man a guy comes to visit and you put him to work...
    I knew I forgot something on Sunday when you stopped by!

I'm hoping that Martin can visit here sometime in his regular travels...nice fellow and does great work from what I saw when I was in Dallas recently. I'd also love to see Todd's work up close and personal...he's a real pro.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I knew I forgot something on Sunday when you stopped by!
    Yeah, seems to me that Tom put you to work. Moving tree trunks, and sharpening gouges

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Yeah, seems to me that Tom put you to work. Moving tree trunks, and sharpening gouges
    Seems like I got a good deal with Tom...a few minutes of re-shaping and sharpening in exchange for an exquisitely large hunk of box elder is a pretty good exchange, especially since I let the magic of hydraulics pick it up out of your van and put it in "storage"! But I did get to take your picture without a hat on you...hee hee Oh, yea, I now have more room in my shop...thanks for giving that planer a great new home!

Thanks Todd!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I was blessed by Martin Shupe's company for most of the morning today. He's in town to see relatives and managed to squeek out some time to come by "the shop." A super nice guy. He brought his new smoother plane and I put him to work with it too! (If he could have only stayed longer... ) Thanks for coming by Martin, I enjoyed the time!
    Thank you, Todd. I enjoyed our time together as well. Thanks for helping me sharpen the plane, and showing me how to use it properly. Now I just need to go home and practice, practice, practice.

I can verify that Todd does outstanding work; the highest quality in every respect. I have several more years of "apprenticeship" before I will come close to his level of craftsmanship.

Todd also spent some time showing me sketchup. WOW! What an awesome program! In about 15 minutes, he drew up a shaker style table, with tapered legs and everything. It is another "tool" I will have to acquire someday, before I build the built-ins for my "dream" office.

Todd was a most gracious host, and even sent me home with a nice piece of mahogany that I can turn into some shaker knobs. Thanks again for the visit and the wood. Don't forget you are always welcome at my place.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 11-27-2003 at 6:53 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Sounds like Todd has himself

an apprentice Did he get all the frames done for you Todd?
    Sounds like you guys had a great visit - always fun to meet fellow creekers

Noah - I didn't put Jim to too much work - just because I turned my good bowl gouge into a something resembling a hooked captured ring tool & he had to straighten it out

Hey Jim I saw your old planer earlier tonight - not sure if a "good home" is quite accurate though At least my gouges didn't get sold on ebay though - right Noah.
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 11-26-2003 at 9:33 PM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP