Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geez - Not Another LN Chisel Thread

Geez - Not Another LN Chisel Thread

Yeah, yeah - I know we don't have enough of these already so here goes.
    Unless someone can talk me out of them, I think past thread searches has me settled on getting the LN bevel edge socket chisels. My current set are Marples Blue handles and I want to move up a notch or two. A couple of questions though: I'm assuming since the LN are US made that 3/8" means 3/8" and not the sort-of-3/8" that you get when going with the European or Japanese chisels that are actually metric sizes? And for those of you that bought the whole set of LN's - how much do you find yourself using the tweener sizes that are in the 9-pc set vs the 5-pc set?
    Use the fence Luke

I don't do Neander work much (but it's growing!), but I actually have used the smaller "tweener" sizes of my AI set when I have cut some dovetails, mortises and other features where smaller tools can get into the corners. I've also found that when paring, if I can have a blade that is wide enough or slightly wider than the cut, it's nice to do it without having too much hanging over (I don't need any more blood flowing from proving how sharp they are...) or having to make a parallel cut to complete things. But then again...they are "needed"...and I suspect many, many folks stick with basic sizes. This only proves I'm a strange one when it comes to using un-tailed tools...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Doug, I'm sort of a chisel afficinado, I've had more than ten sets in the last 20 years so I've seen the good and the bad and the LNs are good. I guess I messed up from the beginning with them though. I had full sets of Stanley 40s, 750s, 720s, Buck paring chisels, Crown chisels and some by a Swedish company that I can't remember so I decided to buy the in-between sizes of LN, 3/8 instead of 1/4 or 1/2 and so on. I really liked the way they felt and worked so I used them a lot. Problem was, they didn't match my dado planes which are 1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4. I ended up buying the whole set and find myself using the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 the most.
    Dennis

Doug, I have the 9 piece set of LN's... wonderful chisels... great balance & feel in my hands. There are some sizes that I use more than others, but I find the tweener sizes are handy to have for the reasons that Jim mentioned. I just went down to my shop and measured the widths of each chisel... they're all dead-on to the nearest 0.001".

Dan

I just recently got rid of my Marples chisels for the 5 pc set of LNs. Never had a need for the inbetweeners so I didn't spend the extra. Plus you can always buy them later if you change your mind, it's not like LN is giving a volume discount.

And just to wet your appetite
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    And just to wet your appetite
    I'm getting all whet just thinking about them Think I'm going to just pony up for the 9-pc set. I've got to do something with all the excess money I've gotten selling off tools here (and elsewhere) lately before I do something stupid and use it for paying rent or utilities.

Thanks y'all
    Use the fence Luke

Doug,
    I would get the 5 piece set, which I have. That way you may want to get another set of specialy chisels, like Blue Spruce or finer Japanese chisels...it will get you more options and you will have a set of LN's too
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I do use the in between sizes often. I love having the 3/16" and the 5/16". For those of you who also like wider chisels, Tom has promised that the 1" width will be available some time later this spring. I've been pestering him about it occasionally. I do a lot of work with stock that is 7/8" to 1" thick and the current largest size of 3/4" just doesn't do it for me.

Please note that on the L-N bench chisels the arrises (right angle corners) between the face of the chisel and the sides are VERY sharp and can cut and slice your fingers when guiding the chisel with your "off" hand.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 01-30-2007 at 2:41 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Doug - DON'T DO IT!!!! LN is the crack of the hand tool world! TLN is doing something to the tools that want you to keep buying more!

Actually, I started with Marples and bought 2 LN's. Then 2 more and then a couple more and then..... Well, you know how it goes.

I now have the basic set of bench chisels and 2 of the Mortisers. They are very easy to sharpen and hold an edge for a considerable amount of time. Much longer than the Marples.

They are very nicely balanced. My hands use to ache using the Marples for DTs. With the LN's they basically feel like nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Doug - DON'T DO IT!!!! LN is the crack of the hand tool world! TLN is doing something to the tools that want you to keep buying more!
    It's already too late for me. My habit has gotten so bad I'm up to 8 LN planes now. I'm having visions of Rachel Lee Cook: This is your brain - This is your brain on LN's.
    I think I was having some sort of flashback today too, cuz John Lennon's Number Nine Dream kept running through my head, followed by the Beatles White Album mantra: Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine ........
    The kicker was the 9-segmented souvenir left by Mr. P.K. in the litter box.

I'm sure they were talking to me. Maybe they're trying to tell me something?
    Use the fence Luke

Doug - It may be too late but let's give it a shot anyway. Here's what I need you to do immediately!

1. Go to your shop. Run don't walk.
    2. Immediately box up anything you have purchased from LN. Ignore the voices in your and and the pets in the house. They will all be telling you this is not a good thing. Trust me this is the only way. Soon you will be getting a second mortgage to afford the new line of tools they are dreaming up.
    3. Once everything is boxed up properly, take them to your nearest UPS or FedEx. They are the only shippers qualified for the most important step.
    4. Mail them to me. I will work my hardest to remove the LN addictive ingredients that TLN has added to the tools. This can take several years and some tools are too far gone to successfully remove these addictive ingredients. Only 1 in 4 have this problem.
    5. Once they go through the full 10 step process I will return them to you.

Michael
    I dont think your 5-step program is going to work for me. I'm going thru excruciating withdrawal symptoms for a week waiting on the chisels. They emailed the day after I ordered and told me they were on BO until I think this Wednesday (I accidently deleted the email). The good new is that with the brutally cold temps here lately (-25 this morning with wind chill) I think I'm getting what amounts to a free cryogenic treatment to the steel during the trip if they ship out Wednesday.
    Use the fence Luke

Agree with Mark Singer

Nothing better than the variety of quality tools- LN, Blue Spruce others BUT also some vintage steel as well.

What's better than going to your collection, rubbing your chin and thinking ...which one of you wants a workout today?

Doug,

Sounds like you already ordered, but I do have the 9 pc set (birthday gift last year) and I used them for maybe the 5th time this weekend. Of coarse I had to use one of the small tween sizes and let me tell you they are a joy to use. (Yes, I know that they deserve more use, but I have been without shop for 7 months and am still constructing the new one as of now)

They come pretty sharp, but while my house was being built and all tools were in storage (that is besides my good LN hand tools and some others) I took the time to sharpen everything I own up to 8000 grit. They cut SO smooth and seperate fibers cleanly!

I too had Blue Handles before this and let me tell you they feel light as feathers in your hand going from those. I feel you need to be more delicate cause these are sharp and balanced, so the effort to use them is like half of pushing the Blues.

Right now I have the 9 pc set in the leather roll (just seems so right) in a shallow drawer in my Craftsman tool cart. I plan to put them on display some day, but my shop is only 2 months in the making right now and I rather have them out of harms way then getting dropped. Once I get the raised floor installed for the "Hand Tool" area I will be making hanging type racks rather than going to the tool cart.
    Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 02-06-2007 at 9:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins
    I too had Blue Handles before this and let me tell you they feel light as feathers in your hand going from those. I feel you need to be more delicate cause these are sharp and balanced, so the effort to use them is like half of pushing the Blues.
    Wow. You weren't kidding. UPS just dropped these at the door an hour ago (I know - no pics, so they really aren't here). I was amazed - the whole 9 piece set in the plastic sleeve they pack in feels as light as 3-4 of the Marples. Already managed to nick myself when I encountered a bit of resistance pulling the plastic dip cover off one of them. Think I'll bring the scary sharp stuff inside this weekend (too cold in the GaShop) and sweeten them up just a bit - they sure dont look or feel like the need very much work though. The cats are real intrigued by the smell of the leather roll too.

Now my technique aint too terrible and I can get the tools in the board, but I could use a refresher on the whole score-keeping thing. What happens when the wider ones land in more than one section??
    dboard.jpg
    Use the fence Luke