Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic Disappointment - rant

Angry Powermatic Disappointment - rant

So I bought a Powermatic Bench top Mortiser (701) from Amazon back in October and it was delivered at the end of November. Great deal at $269 and got a $50 rebate to boot (which I just received.) Of course I have yet to be able to use my machine and here is why:

• When I tried to use the machine the run out was pretty bad. Powermatic tech support said that a new chuck should fix the problem and they sent one out pretty quickly.
    • This did not fix the problem and when I called back they said to either send it back to Amazon or bring it in to an authorized service center. I chose the service center as it was less than 10 miles from my house.
    • I dropped off the machine on December 18th and they said it should not be later than the 15th of January.
    • Needless to say I did not get it back then. Today I finally get a call and they said they have tried everything that Powermatic could think of and that it still does not work correctly. I should pick it back up and send it back to the original point of purchase.
    • So right now I have waited 2 months since receiving the machine and it still does not work. I have received my rebate check and now they want me to repack it and deal with Amazon 2 months later.
    • I called Powermatic and the first person said well that is what you will have to do as you are within the first 90 days.
    • The second person said let me review this and I will get back to you. I am then told that they have a new motor and shaft (as they think the shaft on the motor is out of tolerance) and they can send that out to the service center. I now have to wait and find out if that will happen or not and I am still without the machine 2 months later.

What I cannot understand is that the amount of BS they are wasting on this by not sending out a new machine within all the tolerances and then taking my machine and putting it into their packaging material and either sending it back to Powermatic or they send it back to Amazon and work out the credit between the distribution agent (Amazon) and the MFG. Infact, I offered to have them send me the new one and I will pick up the bad one and ship it back to Amazon although I do not feel that I should have to pay for the shipping.

This poor service and lack of respect for customer time tables has proven to me that it is just not worth the extra money for the Powermatic name. They are supposed be due to the tolerances they supposedly live up to but in this case, they are way off. This is not the first problem with this batch of mortisers from what I have read on the forums.

I was considering the Powermatic 15” planer but that thought just left the my mind after this experience. I know there are a lot of people who really love the Powermatic brand but for me that was not so. I will evaluate the Grizzly, Sunhill, Delta and Woodmaster for my planer and Powermatic can keep theirs.

Sorry for the rant but this has been extremely frustrating.
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

Thanks for letting us know. You deserve better. Anyone deserves better.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Just one of the reasons I like to buy my larger items with a local dealer. Mail order is OK if you don’t have a problem but a PITA if you do.
    I am going to guess your local service center is also a Powermatic dealer. If so, He is not going to be much help if you purchased it through Amazon. Local dealers like to see a person suffer who had problems buying (and saving a few bucks) through the internet. I go through this with Lawn Equipment dealers. Buy a mower through any one of the big box stores and you wait 9 weeks for a repair.

Talking

We just recently bought a Steel City Tools 15" planer and we could not be happier with it. Easy to read complete instructions, eazy assembly, everything fit as advertised, and the only minor problem was a dead battery in the height gauge. A call to Steel City Tool was answered by a gentleman by the name of Scott and he not only sent us two new batteries but a new digital readout via Fedex. I am totall impressed by the commitment of the company in their warrenty and their personal responses to customer inquiries. By the way Scott was Scott Box, president of the company, and he was just answering the phones that day. Tells me something about the company, their service and commitment.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Powermatic

Thanks, to everything being made in other countrys,there's not much quality control.Make it fast and ship it out.I have several powermatic tools,made in the 70's&80's and like them very much.Don't make them like they use to.If I had to purchase again,I think I would investage Grizzy's products.Back to the problem at hand.Even through the tool is made over seas the service is still american made.There's not excuse for the way this problems was handle.Good Luck w/service center.

I got a 701 around the same time period. While mine seems to be OK functionally, the fit and finish are not great. Probably among the worst of the machines I own. Nothing that compromises functionality, but not the exceptional I was expecting by getting a PM over the others. Fortunately, I didn't pay a PM price for it.
    Jay St. Peter

Buy local . . .

All I can say is . . . BUY LOCAL . . . Been there, got a T-Shirt . . .

A local dealer can always resolve your problem . . . .

Steve

return to amazon

I went through a simular situation last month. I purchased a Bosch 5412 from Amazon and I could not get the thing to cut square (there was not enough play in the fence adjustment). I contacted Bosch service and they told me I had to deal with Amazon.

With one email to Amazon with the explanation that the saw was defective, they shipped me out a brand new saw that I received within 2 days! All I had to do was to box up the first saw and sent it back to Amazon on their dime.

I was surprised how easy the process went.

I would suggest you contact Amazon right away.
    Last edited by Stephen Morrison; 01-30-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Bronx cheer for PM

I recently posted my thoughts on the PM 64A contractor saw when someone asked about opinions. PM won't get another red cent out of me. I spent last night realigning my trunnions yet again and reshimming the wings trying to get them dialed in a little better.

But my PM customer service was much like the afforementioned; indifferent about the fact that I couldn't use my saw for three weeks when I bought it.

By the way Carroll, the reason I couldn't was due to the American-made AccuFence. I have three of them; two sitting on the shelf because they are so poorly welded up that they were not serviceable. I sent them a letter expressing my reservations about buying any more PM products (I was looking at bandsaws at the time) without being assured that the company had improved their QC and customer service. I never heard so much as a "thanks you for contacting us" from them. Case closed, they have lost a couple thousand in purchases from me as a result. Peanuts, but if many others share my sentiment that will add up. How the mighty fall. Gold Standard? More like baby-poop yellow standard.

JH

You have highlighted the method to dealing with Amazon

I put together a shop, more or less over the last year and many of the tools were purchased through Amazon. I have returned two, one just because I changed my mind. I groaned when in your intro you stated that you elected to deal with the local service center.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one way to deal with an intially disappointing product and it is simple. Send it back and choose to get a replacement or credit. You can go on line and run though a simple return process, no calling or waiting on hold. Pack it up, have UPS pick it up and forget about it. I also got a pin nailer and compressor combo from Woodcraft and the pins would not sink all the way. Same deal, quick and easy to return.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and I do miss the days when my hardware store guys were all well known. I knew which guy to ask about paint, which for lumber and so on. Ultimately though Amazon's easy and generous return policy has made life easier.

Best wishes and good luck,
    Larry R

Go over to woodnet and lookup a member named Toolman007. He is a product manager for WMH. Let him know your story and see if he can recommend a solution. He is a great guy to deal with and knows the CS folks that can get you taken care of. Good luck.

Mike
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Just incase someone doesnt know, Powermatic is not Powermatic anymore - Powermatic is owned by JET since 2000..
    I have old Powermatic Equipment (American Made) Im vary happy with what I have, I wouldnt buy from them now...
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

"Powermatic is owned by JET since 2000.."

I thought they were both under WMH, or is that the same as Jet?

I believe WMH owns JET, Powermatic and Peformax.

Powermatic was once part of a larger corporation that was defaulting about 6 or 7 years ago. However, the Powermatic division of the corporation was still profitable and was sold to JET/WMH. About this time, they also acquired Peformax sanders and some other smaller niche companies.

-Jeff

You could always buy a Canadian made machine (General).

Familly owned, great product, although their manuals are poor.

The problem isn't whether the equipment is made overseas, or in North America, the problem is quality control, and price.

For a company to have high quality control standards, they have to be able to recover those costs through the sale of the equipment. This seems to be something North Americans have forgotten, we expect to have top quality equipment, without paying for it.

When I purchased my table saw (General 650) I also looked at the offshore models they sell through General International, and decided to purchase the Canadian made machine, rather than the Taiwanese machine. I had to spend an additional $700 to do this, however I am happy with the decision.

The same problem happens with mail order equipment, which may be a few dollars less expensive, however the service is non existant at the local level. Find an equipment dealer you trust, pay a few percent more and develop a good working relationship with them. You expect to be well compensated for your work, why would you begrudge some else, the same compensation.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. When I had a problem installing an aftermarket splitter on my table saw, the General field service rep came to my house to fix the problem, which he knew beforehand wasn't a problem with my saw, it was the splitter. That's customer service, which has to be paid for.