Thread: Where to find the Wood? Turning Projects

Question Where to find the Wood? Turning Projects

Where do you folks find the wood for your bowl turning projects.
    Jim, That is a very nice maple bowl. I can't seem to find any wood thick enough for turning bowls. It's a little to early in my turning hobby to start segmented work, but thats the only wood I can seem to find.
    So, where does one get thicker wood for turning bowls, vases etc....??

THanks

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Wright
    Where do you folks find the wood for your bowl turning projects.
    Julie, one of the beautiful things about turning is that you can source material "everywhere". Many folks never pay a penny for it, too! Here are some of the most obvious sources:

* Your backyard
    * Your firewood pile
    * Your friends and neighbors
    * Off-cuts from flat projects
    * Along the road from utility clearing
    * From local tree surgons
    * Trading with other turners

Other than exotics which you can shop for on the internet and at local lumber sources, you should be able to aquire turning materials easily. When one gets stuff from others, most turners typically will make something for the person whom they made the acqusition from as "payment". This often turns into a never-ending supply!

For example, I noticed someone not far down the road from us was taking down a large tree the other day. I stopped and asked if I could have a few pieces for woodturning stating that I'd provide a turning back in exchange. The man was more than happy to give up a few chunks of tree that he already considered firewood...he was quite surprised that someone even asked as he was more concerned that the logs would get stolen overnight if he left them lying along the road!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Julie!

I'm just starting out with my turning addiction, too, but here's what I've found from advice here and elsewhere...

Unless you live in an arrid place there is turning wood available everywhere. Just listen for the sound of chainsaws in the distance- chances are someone will be glad to give you a cutoff or two. Or just visit your friendly neighborhood firewood pile.

I recently took a bowl turning class at the local Woodcraft and turned my first piece of green wood and it is great! It's easy on the tools (less touchup on the sharpening and you get awesome ribbons of wood!) and the best part is it's usually free! {Just be advised that there's a procedure for rough turning green wood and allowing it to dry before final turning.}

If the other options don't turn out (sorry, couldn't help it ) you could try eBay or other online merchants although you may get a great price for the wood itself, shipping usually makes it cost prohibitive, especially while learning.

Once you get your wood network in place, be sure to reward your spotters with a nice bowl or something to keep them on the lookout. Before you know it, you'll have more than enough to keep up with. Good luck and let us know how it "turns" out.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Julie

The one source that got me a lot of wood was to follow the power company as they butchered trees in town. Another avenue was to hook up with a man that removes trees. I made a bowl and asked if I could trade a bowl for green wood. He said sure, the more I took the less he had to haul away. He then invited me to have at the discard pile anytime I wanted. I just leave a little something for him every couple of visits. Pass the word amoung co-workers. I have gotten some nice stuff that way also. In the future I will be showing some things made from Peach I got from a man I work with. Peach is spetacular!!!!

Terry

Turning Wood supply

And, in addition to all the other sources listed, you can wait for a 100 year hurricane like we just had here in VA and then there are millions of logs laying across the roads and fields so that, should you be inclined to take one, everyone in that neighborhood will be grateful!!
    Philip

Julie,
    I'm probably not going to mention anything different than what you've already heard but what the heck.
    One way of getting wood is, I went to a local wood auction and made friends with a few near by wood turners. One of the turners and myself will get wood for each other, he gets wood and shares with me and I get wood and shares with him. Usally the wood I find is either in the woods (already down) or along roadsides in some clearings.
    The other way I get wood is in the members of the Church I attend. There is almost always someone wanting to cut up a tree that has fallen. In fact I just got some apple yesterday.
    And the third way is by word of mouth. I ask just about everybody I know if they know of any wood that is down.
    With all three ways I don't get picky (I'll take anything cause what I can't use I give it to people that use it for heat) and am thankful for any and all logs.

Jim's list pretty much covers it all though;
    * Your backyard
    * Your firewood pile
    * Your friends and neighbors
    * Off-cuts from flat projects
    * Along the road from utility clearing
    * From local tree surgons
    * Trading with other turners
    * A walk through the woods

Good luck,,,

Julie,

Here's another idea to add to the stack...Find out who the large general contractors are in your area and ask who does their timber removal and site clearing. These folks are usually not arborist/landscape types. Many site preparation contractors in our area have disposal yards where marketable trees from construction sites are stored before being sold for timber or otherwise disposed of. Lots of freebies available and they will even keep an eye out for unusual species if you are willing to trade an occasional bowl.

Hi Julie. I recently had a huge White Oak cut down and had a problem trying to find someone to cart it off. Eventually one of my neighbors offered to help and we loaded up his truck and a trailor two times. We eventually took around 3 tons of white oak to a recycling center in Summerville. The center was on Hwy 61 just past the Legend Oaks sub-division on the right. It's probably a 20 minute drive from Goose Creek but it might be worth stopping by on your weekends to see what kind of wood has been dropped off. They only take yard trash and I was not the only one dropping off tree parts that weekend. There was no fee to drop it off so I don't think they would care if you took a nice log or two. Another benefit of looking here for your turnings is that the logs are usually already cut to managable sizes. Good luck!

PS I love your turnings. Keep up the good work!

Jim
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

Jim,
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out this weekend.

Julie,

That is how I got my Corian. I called a local cabinet shop and there was two ladies working in the front office. They told me they had some scrap so I went over and got what they had. I asked them how much but they wouldn't take anything but said a pen or two might be nice. I took them two pens a couple days later made out of the Corian. They were very surprised to see me back and very thrilled with the pens. They also told me if they had scrap I was more then welcome to it. Good Luck to You.

Julie, Ray has a great idea! A friend at work gave me some "Maple" he received from his father-in-law. It had been in the middle of his garage for 2 years and he wanted to get rid of it. When I got it home it turned out to have some of the most beautiful curl I had ever seen. I would be more than willing to cut you some blanks in exchange for a pen made out of the same. Just let me know how many blanks you would charge. Let's make a deal!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

Dang. Now that's a nice piece of lumber.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill 2
    Julie, Ray has a great idea! A friend at work gave me some "Maple" he received from his father-in-law. It had been in the middle of his garage for 2 years and he wanted to get rid of it. When I got it home it turned out to have some of the most beautiful curl I had ever seen. I would be more than willing to cut you some blanks in exchange for a pen made out of the same. Just let me know how many blanks you would charge. Let's make a deal!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Jim Hill
    Let's get crackin on that web site. I want to see some more of your work.

Tyler

The other place you can try is local sawmills Julie. I've found slabs thick enough for shallow bowls and platers lots of times there.