Thread: Parallelogram drawer joinery

1. Parallelogram drawer joinery

I've made a cabinet that is a parallelogram and it needs drawers. I'm having a hard time coming up with joinery options.

I was hoping to do some dovetails, but the angles seem tricky and time consuming. I can do it, I just dont wanna!

Then I was considering a false fronts with a drawer box joined with angled tongue and grooves, but that doens't look very nice.

So has anyone tackled this?

Oh, I really want to say "Domino"....

How about mitered corners with hidden splines. (Stopped dados routed to contain the splines)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham
    I've made a cabinet that is a parallelogram and it needs drawers. I'm having a hard time coming up with joinery options.

I was hoping to do some dovetails, but the angles seem tricky and time consuming. I can do it, I just dont wanna!

Then I was considering a false fronts with a drawer box joined with angled tongue and grooves, but that doens't look very nice.

I've done it, but my approach was more good carpentry than fine woodworking. The project was a window seat fitting into a bay window. It had big drawers underneath. I made them parallograms to clear a built-in bookcase. It worked quite nicely, but feels weird the first time you pull a drawer out.

I made plywood drawer boxes, using biscuits to align the sides, front, and back. It was difficult to get the usual pipe clamps on to the box to pull everything together while the glue cured, so I used screws. As long as I'd put 'em in, I left them in the finished product. I used an overlay drawer front screwed to the drawer box from the rear.

Something like this??? (from Terry)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards from Tasmania, Australia

Den

The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham

Yah sort of. I did a faceted sphere made up of rather small pieces. every angle was compound and I fingerjointed 'em.

You can make a finger joint sled that lays back at any angle you please which will of course be that angle of your non square drawer joints. You can run it across your TS if you have blades that cut a dead square slot or use a router table.

6. Thanks fellas.

Jim, Domino would be too big (and I don't have the money for one right now, although it looks like a great tool) The drawer is pretty small. 12" wide, 2" high and 10" deep.

Cliff, I think you're idea of fingerjoints is probably the best option.

7. Thanks Cliff for the idea. Worked out great. Here are some pics. Really easy to do.

Just made a box joint jig with and angled face.

DSCN4606.JPG

Then to do the mating part its necessary to tilt it forward so the pieces line up, I added a little fence to the top to hold the angle.

DSCN4599.JPG

Side view

DSCN4603.JPG

Works!

DSCN4605.JPG

Very clever!! And as you state, it works! Nice...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...