Thread: What would be a fair price?

What would be a fair price?

This saw was bought by my company 20 years ago. It was bought used at that time. What would be a fair price for this saw...

And this jointer?

I'd check ebay, Craig List and local want ads tos figure out local prices. Then I'd offer $100 for the saw if it works and is all there. It looks like it may need a tune up and parts if available cost money. Do the bearings feel tight and are they quiet? This price would be conditional on you hauling away the jointer. Wait for a counter offer and go from there.
    Last edited by Gary Breckenridge; 04-28-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Yes everything about this saw works well. It has a 1 horse motor, but the fence would need to be replaced in my opinion.

Is the Unisaw single phase? I agree with Gary, I’d start out lowball and go from there.

Interesting jointer, is the outfeed table nonadjustable?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't think you are going to like my reply...

But I sold one just like it on ebay for over $1000. The top on mine was in perfect condition, but the rest of it didn't seem quite as nice as yours. Mine was 110v single phase. If it is 3 phace the price really drops. If you have the serial number you can date it by going the OWWM web site. Mine was made in 1948.

The guy that bought mine must have really wanted it, as he drove almost a thousand miles to pick it up. I was happy as all get out, as I thought it would only bring around $500

Nic your right I like Gary's answer much better. There is no way I will pay 1000 for that saw. If that much is in play it will go for a new saw. It is a 110 single phase, and I believe it can be wired for 220. The jointer is an old Atlas, and the out feed table is adjustable. I looked at a General cabinet or hybrid for 800 brand new last week. Going up to look at it again.

Kent, when you say "my company" I read that to mean the place where you work, rather than a company that you own, as it seems you are thinking about buying this saw for yourself.

Personally, I find "business" economics are not at all the same as "personal/family" economics. As an individual, a few hundred bucks means something, and I'll make an effort to save it.

As a company? (I mean a medium sized + up company, not a small family owned business) A few hundred bucks means a couple hours work from well paid employees. On top of that, at 20 years old, it has already been depreciated to zero on the books. On top of that, they have a loyal, valued, employee (you) that they hopefully want to keep happy.

All of that means I agree with the lowball people.

I suspect that a medium/larger company, would probably be happy if you simply hauled it away. A medium/smaller company might need a few dollars. A small business (10 people or less, for instance) starts bluring the line with personal economics and they will want as much dough as they can get.

Hows that for muddying the issue?
    "It's Not About You."

Art I find I cannot argue with your logic. You are dead on. I work for a small family owned business. I think I'll toss the low ball soon. Thanks.

That Unisaw will miles ahead of any saw that you will buy new today that costs less than a grand. I have a 25 year old Unisaw that I bought new and replaced the bearings last year for $13.00 and had a friend push them on. I could have bought bearings made in China for half that price. That saw would be a steal for $500. That is the first service that my saw has required All kinds of parts are available and all kinds of sites to assist in repairing anything that may need fixing. That is not the best fence available in todays world but still not a bad fence. That saw will leave any Hybrid in the sawdust. I hope you can get it for $100, good luck.
    Brian