Thread: Rikon 14" BS Power up issues

Angry Rikon 14" BS Power up issues

Has anyone had any issues with a Rikon 14" deluxe BS tripping the breaker at start up?

Mine is doing it right out of the box. waiting for tomorrow to contact Tech support.
    "Foodstamps won't buy me worms"

Alan.

I can tell you that more than one person has had the same trouble with the 18" bandsaw by Rikon, myself included. In my case the tension was really cranked up on the motor belt, and the starting cap needed to be replaced.

To date Rikon has provided good service to the people that have had issue's. Give them a call tommorrow, or check that belt tension first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Joseph
    Has anyone had any issues with a Rikon 14" deluxe BS tripping the breaker at start up?

Mine is doing it right out of the box. waiting for tomorrow to contact Tech support.
    Is this the breaker in your home/shop wiring? If so, what size circuit is it and what else is on it? My home circuits aren't even adequate for my circular saw, forget stationary tools.

If this is an on-board breaker, that's a separate issue. It could be the saw, or it could be bad wiring (or too long a cord) that is making it draw too many amps.

Pete

Thanks for the reply.
    The "Garage-Mahal" is only a year old and each wall has 2 circuits alternating outlets. The plug that it is plugged into is only 10 feet from the Breaker Panel and it's all wired with #12 awg THHN in conduit.
    I run a 1.5 hp 110vac table saw with no issues as well as RAS and compressor. I guess the good thing is that I bought it from Woodcraft and they take returns no questions asked (like I would make them ask!) and Rikon has a 2 year warranty as well.

I actually tried it on another circuit that also had no other equipt on it and got the same result.

Tonight I took the blade off and tried it and still tripped. So, then I loosened all the tension off the motor pulley and it worked...put a little tension on it and forget it. So it trips with just the bottom pulley (which I can turn by hand) I checked the wiring to make sure it wasn't wired for 220 and that was ok.
    It's like getting a new toy for Xmas and Santa didn't leave any batteries!

I bought the Rikon 18" last fall and it had the same problem. I removed and tested the start capacitor and it was kaput. I gave their service department a call and they sent a new one ASAP. No problems since I replaced it.

Hi, it certainly sounds like the starting capacitor, based upon the symptoms.

The saw also is rated at 14 amperes at 120 volts, which is too large for a 15 ampere breaker, a 20 ampere breaker is required. (code limits you to 80% load)

With cast iron blade wheels, the start up torque of the motor will have to be maintained for a longer time than with lighter wheels, which also contributes to breaker tripping if the breaker isn't adequately sized.

If you need help troubleshooting the starting capacitor please PM me.

Regards, Rod.

Circuit breaker trip...Yup!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Joseph

There was an odor in the capacitor enclosure althought no evidence of leakage. I got a new motor which seems better, it's still slow to start. Too much belt tension and/or too much blade tension enter into the picture as well. I did find that less drive belt tension helps with startup but will slip when resawing 10" white oak. I'm still experimenting. I may also try to rewire to 240 volts and see if that helps with the startup issue. I did put an ammeter on the old motor and it was drawing 40-50 amps (!!) on startup for several seconds, no wonder the CB tripped. I haven't checked the new motor. . BTW this is a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Once is was up to speed, it was drawing 7 amps no load, which seemed reasonable. Resawing 10" white oak was only drawing about 10 amps so once it's running it's fine.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-30-2007 at 5:53 AM.

Thumbs up The real fix

The saw comes wired for 120 volts and it works on 120 as long as it's on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. There is a pretty substantial starting draw as I indicated in my previous post. I just rewired for 240 volts, it's very easy to do. HUGE difference. It's up to speed within 2 seconds; on 120 volts it's more like 4-5 seconds and I'm wonder what's going to happen first, C.B. trips or the saw comes up to speed. Bottom line, 120 works, 240 works mucho better.

Curt

Rikon 14" BS Power up issues

I had the same problem with my Rikon 14" BS on startup at 120V. I rewired for 240V and I no longer have any issues. This saw seems to be made to run at 240V. I can resaw 12" Red Oak with the stock blade without any noticable bogging down. Speaking of the stock blade, has anyone found a source for a 111" blade?

My Rikon 10-325 14" BS is working just fine at 120 volts. I have never had a breaker trip while running it.

As far as blades, the only way to go in my opinion is Timberwolf. Phone number is: 800-234-7297

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp

Sounds like a motor or start capacitor problem to me....

111" blades

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rollins
    I had the same problem with my Rikon 14" BS on startup at 120V. I rewired for 240V and I no longer have any issues. This saw seems to be made to run at 240V. I can resaw 12" Red Oak with the stock blade without any noticable bogging down. Speaking of the stock blade, has anyone found a source for a 111" blade?
    Yup, Timberwolf. I held the T'wolf blade next to the factory blade and they seemed the same length. When I mounted the T'wolfs, even the 1/4" one, I couldn't tension it properly. The manual is sparse as alluded to elsewhere. After some tinkering, I decided I needed to loosen the double nuts on the tensioning rod and raise them so the wheel had more travel. Once I did that, I could tension the T'wolf blades just fine.

I didn't notice problems with power or bogging down on 120 Volts, just slow startup. I had an ammeter inline, ran about 7 amps idling and 10 amps cutting 8" white oak.

Curt

EDIT: I just rigged a cord so I could put an ammeter on it with 240 volts. It maxed out at 24 amps-momentarily-amp draw tensioned band & tensioned belt drawing 2.9 amps not cutting anything vs 7.2 amps on 120, less than half. I did get my motor replaced when I first got the saw because it would not come up to speed without tripping a 20 amp circuit breaker on a dedicated circuit. This motor will work on 120 volts, seems much happier on 240 volts. As Alan notes, Rikon's customer service was very responsive.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-30-2007 at 7:38 PM.

Thanks all for the help and advice. The saw is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Update - I spoke to Rikon and they are sending out a new motor. I do Electrical for a living and when I built the "Garage-Mahal" I put everything in conduit in anticipation of needing, (dare I say) "More Power!" lol. I will swap the Motor and if that doesn't cure it will be pulling a new circuit. BTW - Rikon scored many points with me during this, easy to reach support and FRIENDLY!

I will post again so you won't wake up in the middle of the night and ask yourself "wonder whatever became of that issue in Michigan about the BS"
    Last edited by Alan Joseph; 01-30-2007 at 4:31 PM.

What do you have is wired into? Are there other loads on the circuit?

Check how easily the wheels turn when the blade is tensioned.

Try plugging it into another outlet that's on a different circuit.
    Howie.........

Smile

I have the 10-345 Rikon 18" bandsaw that had the same problem. Had to change out motor. The centrifical switch was the problem. I can't speak highly enough about the customer service at Rikon. They were absolutley great to work with. They sent me a new motor and everything is great. By the way they have changed motor suppliers and the newer machines are not having the problem.