Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Random Orbital Sander?

Which Random Orbital Sander?

Hi- I want to purchase a Random Orbital Sander, hook and loop, does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones seem good and which to avoid? Thanks -Howard

Howard, for my money the Porter Cable “Quicksand” ROS is hard to beat. I have both the 332 and the new 333 variable speed. I strongly recommend the VS.
    Also, when hooked up to a shop vac they are virtually dust free!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Howard,

I have a Festool ES 150/3 6" ROS and really love it.
    Excellent design and ergonomics, well balanced and low weight (you can use it very comfortably with one or two hands), VS, hardly any vibrations (very important if you sand an extended period of time), extremely smooth sanding operation and great finish result, hook and loop (Festool calls it Stickfix) and the best dust collection I can imagine.
    The sander comes with a filter bag which works quite well but if possible connect it to a vac. As already mentioned I have the Festool CT 22 vac (wet/dry extraction, auto on/off, variable suction - very important when using a vac attached to a sander) and have to admit that this combination is hard to beat. It allows almost dust-free sanding.

Festool makes a couple of other ROS's too:
    The Rotex: 6", unique 3in1 tool which combines preliminary sander, fine sander and polisher
    The ES 125: 5" palm grip model
    The ES 150/5: same as the ES 150/3 but with a 5 mm stroke (the ES 150/3 has a 3 mm stroke).

All Festool's are very well made German high quality tools, built like a tank, come in a systainer (stackable case), have a 30 days money back guarantee and a 3 year guarantee.

There are some reviews on the web you might like to check out:
    http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/festool.html
    http://www.cjohnhebert.com/Festoolsander.htm
    http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm
    http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Festo...toolIndex.html

Feel free to email me for any specifics.

Regards,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria

PS: No affiliation to Festool.

I really like my bosch 3107. Check Home depot they may still be clearancing a few in your area. They were marked down the $66 here in PA.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Check out the Festool reviews on this site and others. I have the 150-5, and it is one of the tools that is keeping me from considering going more Neander. It is a truly great tool. If not Festool, the new Ridgid looks like it is built by Metabo, and (please check on this as I have only heard that this is true) they supposedly have a lifetime warranty if purchased this year. I still would go the Festool route if at all possible.
    Last edited by Lloyd Robins; 11-28-2003 at 5:01 PM.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I have the ryobi v/s it's my second one the first one lasted 10 years,,,,,
    Mike

I have the P-C hook and loop and have not had any problems in the last 7 years. Works very well for all jobs. The Sam's Club by me was selling the fixed speed ones for about $49 a while ago.

I use a Porter Cable 333 hook and loop
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Think "Festool". Buy Festool and you'll never have to ask this question again! I have the 125 and will probably be ordering the ES 150/5 before Christmas. They're a bit pricier than your run of the mill brands, but high quality, do a heckuva' job and are a joy to use! Drop Bob Marino (ROBARLMAR@aol.com) a line and he'll be happy to contact you with details, pricing and any specials they may have going on. GREAT guy to deal with and he's even an SMC'er!

Not affiliated with Festool in any way, BUT extremely happy with their products!....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have only used two brands, the first being a Menard's Tool Shop ROS and from experiance it's not bad for rough sanding, but I wouldn't use it for a final sanding. For final sanding I have both the PC 333 and PC 333vs. Both seem to do great for what I need and when on clearance they can't be beat.

PC Has Long Life

I have had the PC - vs for over 10 years now, it's great
    18th century nut --- Carl

I am with John

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Think "Festool". Buy Festool and you'll never have to ask this question again! I have the 125 and will probably be ordering the ES 150/5 before Christmas. They're a bit pricier than your run of the mill brands, but high quality, do a heckuva' job and are a joy to use! Drop Bob Marino (ROBARLMAR@aol.com) a line and he'll be happy to contact you with details, pricing and any specials they may have going on. GREAT guy to deal with and he's even an SMC'er!

Not affiliated with Festool in any way, BUT extremely happy with their products!....
    Festool has great dust control and the sanding disc last longer.Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey MCCombs
    Festool has great dust control and the sanding disc last longer.Halsey
    Halsey, those are two major points I forgot to point out! Yet again more reasons why I'm looking into the 150/5! This old house we bought will be in need of a LOT of refinishing, which will need to be done "on site" (not in the shop) and hooked up to my little Fein Mini, there is virtually no dust to be found when done! Right also about the discs. Some of the best and longest lasting I've used, but that may also be enhanced by the superb dust extraction.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Festool Rotex...... amazing performance, verstatile, and zero dust if used with a Festool vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Hi Howard,

I have a Festool ES 150/3 6" ROS and really love it.
    Excellent design and ergonomics, well balanced and low weight (you can use it very comfortably with one or two hands), VS, hardly any vibrations (very important if you sand an extended period of time), extremely smooth sanding operation and great finish result, hook and loop (Festool calls it Stickfix) and the best dust collection I can imagine.
    The sander comes with a filter bag which works quite well but if possible connect it to a vac. As already mentioned I have the Festool CT 22 vac (wet/dry extraction, auto on/off, variable suction - very important when using a vac attached to a sander) and have to admit that this combination is hard to beat. It allows almost dust-free sanding.

Festool makes a couple of other ROS's too:
    The Rotex: 6", unique 3in1 tool which combines preliminary sander, fine sander and polisher
    The ES 125: 5" palm grip model
    The ES 150/5: same as the ES 150/3 but with a 5 mm stroke (the ES 150/3 has a 3 mm stroke).

All Festool's are very well made German high quality tools, built like a tank, come in a systainer (stackable case), have a 30 days money back guarantee and a 3 year guarantee.

There are some reviews on the web you might like to check out:
    http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/festool.html
    http://www.cjohnhebert.com/Festoolsander.htm
    http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm
    http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Festo...toolIndex.html

Feel free to email me for any specifics.

Regards,

Christian Aufreiter, Austria

PS: No affiliation to Festool.
    Christian, or anyone else, does Festool make a 1/2 sheet in line sander?
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska