Thread: Problems viewing pictures (Resolved)

Problems viewing pictures (Resolved)

I want to read a recent big discussion on SketchUp at the following link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43655

All the photos come up as red "x" boxes. What can I do to trouble shoot this? It's obvious that everyone else that's posting on this discussion is viewing them just fine. I can see on thread photos. So I don't know what's up. Help please.

Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Are you on a slow Internet connection? Dave's screen scrapes are somewhat large...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your help. No, the problem is not my connection. I just did a speedtest and I'm pinging at 81ms, download at 2.2 mbs and upload of 1.1 mbs. Speed should not be a factor.

Any more thoughts?

Neil

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I went to the thread and am having the same proplem. It sure ain't my connection which is super fast. The pics are on Photobucket - may be a problem there.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

What is "Photobucket". Have you ever viewed this thread before?

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bosdet
    What is "Photobucket". Have you ever viewed this thread before?
    Photobucket is a website where anyone can load pictures for viewing, if you don't have your own web site to do so. Personally I don't think such services are reliable. Thats why we recommend you use the Manage Attachments here at SMC and the photos will be maintain here on our sever to be viewed forever.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

So what can be done to fix this issue if anything?

Neil, the problem is not with SMC, per se...Dave chose to link to the pictures that were on another site (photobucket.com), rather than upload them to SMC. Now they have been moved and the links no longer work. (Uploading photos insures they stay with posts into the future) Dave can't edit the posts because we have a 24 time window on editing...necessary due to some unfortunate circumstances awhile back with content disappearing. No matter, Ken has offered to help Dave restore things and just needs some information to do so.
    --

OK. That's great news! I'll be watching for it. It is an extremely helpful thread that I and many others can benefit from. Thanks very much to you and Ken.

Neil

One of the reasons I don't put those images on the SMC is because of the size limitation. Those screen shots were already greatly reduced and some of the detail is hard to read. It would be all gone if I had to reduce them enough to fit the constraints of the SMC upload.

I'm working on a different way to do tutorials so in the future there won't be this problem.

Dave...ScreenHunter will do very nice JPG screen captures that are small enough to post/upload directly. And it's free. Between that and using Photoshop Elements to reduce and then sharpen, it's possible to get a lot of detail displayed without having a large file size. Takes some work, but it's the price we pay for sharing...
    --

Jim, I'll look at Screenhunter. I have HyperSnap which works quite well along wit a couple of freeware apps that also create videos from screen captures. If I can't sharpen the images enough with Picasa, then they'll just be blurry. I can't afford to buy software to use for making these tutorials. If I was getting paid for my time I probably would buy it. I figure donating my time is plenty.