Thread: Playing with Dyes

Playing with Dyes

Guys I need a little feedback on something I have tried in the last week. Both pieces are maple and dyed with Artisan Dyes from Crafts Supply. Just dabbed on with a paper towel, no fancy airbrushing, and selectively sanded back to knock down sharp edges.

The Platter/bowl is 11"+ by 1.5 and the vessel is a 2-piece job 7.25" by 4". I really don't like the shape of the vessel but it was a first try at two piece and that seems to be a challenge in itself.

The colors were fun on what was otherwise fairly plain maple. Nita (LOML) thinks people will love this look. I was inspired (more accurately 'irratated') by a glass painter that shares space in the shop that sells my work. People flock to see her jars that she basicaly shakes up paint in.

Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Frank,

I really like the platter. The multi-colored surface starkly contrasts with the natural wood in the center. I think you will compete nicely with the blown glass artist.

The vessel.......The shape is nice but it departs from what I'm used to seeing for one piece vessels/HFs of this general shape so that may why I don't like it as well. It is nicely done though.

I think, generally speaking, I'd buy your wooden dyed pieces before I'd buy an equivalent glass piece. I find wood warmer in comparison to glass.

Nicely done on both pieces!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like it also, the dyes look good. I think dyed wood will really catch a persons eye.

Boy now that is cool Frank. I like the dye thing a lot. I have been wanting to try that. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think they both look cool... you did a good job! I like doing dye... it can add a lot to a piece!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Thanks Guys,

Ken, I'd be happy to get my butt kicked by the blown glass guy, his stuff is amazing. The one that gets me frosted is a lady who buys thin glass vases from Sam's Club and dabbles paint on the inside of the vase. Her art seems to be limited to the combination of colors because there is no image painted, just colors. Her min. price is $160, and it sells. Maybe its that she persists in calling me Fred instead of Frank, so pushy at the receptions and rude to the staff of the shop. Last event she interupted a conversation I was having with a visitor with 'You came to see my work, get over here'. I'd like to dabble paint in one of her jars with her head.

Oh well, I'm loosing focus as someone brought up in a thread yesterday.

Both of these pieces are going to charity auction next week, kind of a test market. I have alot of this maple and I plan to keep exploring this look.

Thanks again guys.

Frank

Very different work Frank! I like the form of the platter a lot but not 100% sure of the color combo. I do like the contrast of the natural wood center -vs dye.

Please let us know how they fair at the auction.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think you'll compete well with the "glass painter" Frank!

You'll just have to explain to potential customers how much more difficult it is using x-ray vision to see what grain patterns and density differences are in a piece of wood before you turn it so you can bring out the most natural beauty! And all this so you can predetermine where and what color dyes should be applied!

Good luck! but it really isn't needed.

PS....tell you glass painter friend Melba I said hi!
    Ken

Nice job Frank, the glass lady .... well the artist thread awhile back appllies to her also, but.... what makes you a better artist than her is your attitude. oh and of course the x-ray vision helps too , so does the equiptment and time and skill and knowledge and persistance and and and . Keep up the good work , the dye job is exceptional , especally on non discript wood. What color is this particular one?
    John 3:16

Frank I really like the color contrasting with the wood. On the platter you can add some texture with a chatter tool. Wood magazinwe has directions on how to make a chatter tool this month. Excellent job.

Roger

Roger.....Frank has the Sorby chatter tool and is skilled at using it! I observed this in his shop right after Christmas.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek
    The one that gets me frosted is a lady who buys thin glass vases from Sam's Club and dabbles paint on the inside of the vase. Her art seems to be limited to the combination of colors because there is no image painted, just colors. Her min. price is $160, and it sells. Maybe its that she persists in calling me Fred instead of Frank, so pushy at the receptions and rude to the staff of the shop. Last event she interupted a conversation I was having with a visitor with 'You came to see my work, get over here'. I'd like to dabble paint in one of her jars with her head.
    Sounds to me like she's insecure. I say overwhelm her with dazzlingly beautiful turnings like the ones you posted here. Eventually people will figure her for the moron she is and learn to appreciate your work, which is the true art.

Frank

Love the platter. Are you going to bring them to the club meeting next Monday? Would love to see them in person.

Terry

Terry

No I will miss the meeting, unfortunately work is interefering with things in life I enjoy. I suspect I will have more in time for the March meeting.

Frank

Frank, I really like what you did with the platter. I may have to spend some of the Xmas gift cards on some dyes. (Yes, somehow the vortex has not 'taken' them yet - it must spin more slowly when it's below zero and the 'shop' is a garage stall... I don't think the kerosene torpedo heater will keep up with -10F.)
    Very nice work.
    Pat