Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.C. Emmerich Primus Adjustable Block Plane

E.C. Emmerich Primus Adjustable Block Plane

I was wondering if anyone has used this little block plane? I am upgrading and as much as I like LN & LV I am fascinated with wooden planes. All the magazine blurbs are positive however I am curious if anyone has actually put it through the paces. Any and all input on this little guy would be great.
    Cheers, Michael
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Hi Michael,
    I used to own one a few years back. If I remember correctly it was comfortable to use. My only dislikes were (1) it's typically used one-handed so the large knob fits in palm of your hand. During use I would always inadvertently change the depth setting with the slightest rotation of my palm. That got to be very annoying. and (2) I had to sharpen the iron more often than any of my LN blades. It took and held a decent edge, but just didn't hold it as long as my other plane irons.
    Hope that helps.

Manny

Michael,
    It is a good rough block plane, not as adjustable as a 60 1/2 the mouth is fixed...I like it, thought it is not my first choice for detail work
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

slippery slope

Thanks Mark and Manny,
    I guess I was hoping to fill the bill with a wooden block plane but aside from the Primus the only other one I have come across is a low angle block from Crown Hand Tool Co. and I have not heard anything about them either.
    I think for its use though the LN or LV is the way to go.
    Why is it everytime I set out to buy a new hand tool it is always a hundred more than I want to pay?
    Curse this slippery slope.......
    James Krenov

Hi,

I have memories that we had one of these wooden block planes in the basement when I was a kid but my father doesn't remember it... perhaps a figment of my imagination.

I like wooden planes, too, but one of the uses of a block plane (for me) is chamfering corners of boards. I use a metal block plane for this. Over time, this would really take its toll on a wooden block plane. With wooden planes, I really try to avoid doing anything but work on a flat edge, end, or face of a board. So if you plan to use a block plane for chamfering, this might be a job for a metal plane!
    -Andy

It is a very well made and crafted plane, as are all the ECE products. Yes, if you put your hand on the adjusting knob during use, you run the risk of rotating the knob....but I place my hand on the heel of the plane itself....so I have overcome that problem. Even with that, I find it far more comfortable than any of the Stanleys except for the knuckle-joints (#18 and #65). The adjustment mechanism is superior to any of the Stanleys. I agree that the iron is not in the same class as LN, Hock, etc. but it is better than the ordinary Stanley. Yes, it does have a fixed mouth, but I can get reasonably fine shavings with mine, but not quite as fine as a well-made adjustable mouth, such as the LN or LV versions. What I like the best is the lignum vitae sole. You can't beat the smooth glide of that sole on wood....in that regard, the metallic soles of the others don't even rate.

If you really want an adjustable mouth (hammer adjusted, of course), consider one of Steve Knight's smaller planes in a wood of your choice. You will definitely get fine shavings with his.

The ECE Primus Smoother711 is the top dog! That is the premier wood plane they make and is one of my favorites...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

You may want to check out the HNT Gordon palm smoother ( http://www.hntgordon.com.au/prodcatpalm.htm ), it's one of my most used planes. I don't know that it officially fits in the block plane category.

Pam

I have the ECE block plane, a LV block plane, and an LN block plane. The ECE and the LV sit on the shelf.

Little beauty

I am delighted with my ECE block plane. It fits the shape of my hand comfortably, and with a well prepared blade takes beautiful full width shavings.
    The mouth is of course not adjustable, but I find that its shaping is excellent and I have never experienced any choking or blockages.
    This is one of my favourite planes.
    Regards
    MC

Mujingfang Short Plane

[IMG][/IMG]The Japan Woodworker sells a Muji. short plane that is only 4 in.long.It is made out of Ebony and is at 45°.Along with my LN 102 at 37° and a Steve Knight pocket plane at 55° all of my small plane needs are covered.
    Last edited by Bruce Branson; 02-08-2007 at 5:44 PM.

I have a mix of block planes that I use for different things. I do admit to liking the Mujingfang mini smoother, which is almost identical to the HNT Gordon which Pam mentioned except it's way cheaper. Okay, the blade isn't as thick, but it's still a good chunk of steel and holds an edge extremely well.

The body is rosewood, and it has a brass mouth strip. Mine cost me about $US20.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

That's good to hear, Adriaan, I've heard several people say they like the Muninfang planes a lot. One of these days I'll get around to trying one. $20 huh? That's pretty cheap...

I don't think they're identical to the HNT, but similar in that they are both wooden and both reputed to work very, very well. For example, the HNT has: no brass rod for holding a subblade; a wedge with no subblade; removeable/adjustable handles; and a thicker blade. And you can use the HNT's as scrapers by turning the blades around. Other than that, they're identical.

Pam

Short Smoother

The Mujingfang short smoother has a steel rod and wedge and no subblade.

Mujingfang

Maybe I am missing something, but I went to the Japan Wood Worker site and cannot find the Mujingfang plane? Am I just missing it or do they still carry the plane?
    James Krenov