Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Framing nailer help needed..

Framing nailer help needed..

Plan to put up some walls in the basement shop. Thought it would be a good time to get a framing nailer. ( I framed my cabin a few years back with my trusty Hammer and 16D nails and my arm is still tired). I have both finish and brad nailers and a PC pancake compressor.
    My questions are: What is the best Framing Nailer for me (I'll be used it only ocassionally as a hobbyist)? Best place to buy?(They seem to be in the $200-300 range)?
    Of what importance are the degrees of the gun itself? I've seen 21,22,28 etc and are the nails readily available? And Lastly, best one for weight/power ratio. I have a bad back(and Knee ) so lightest one w sufficient power would be my goal. lmk your thoughts...thanks
    Jerry

Jerry:

I have the Stanley Bostitch Coil Framing Nailer . I like this nailer because of it's size, it can get into tight spaces like when toe tailing framing on 12 inch centers. The nails are available at HD.

Greg

I have one of the lower-end Senco framing guns. It's a full-head nailer (so there is no issue with any codes like there may be with clipped-head nailers in some jurisdictions). My only beef has been it's pretty sensitive and will double nail on me...there is a fix, but I haven't got off my duff to contact Senco for the instructions to set it to "single shot" permanently.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got a Porter Cable. I haven't used it yet myself, but it must be OK because the friend I lent it to a few days ago hasn't called to complain or ask questions. That's therefore a strong recommendation -- or it it. (Well my Porter Cable finishing nailer has worked flawlessly.)

I have a Hitachi NR83 full round head nailer. If I were to buy a gun today, I'd look for one with a 'Selective Actuation' so you can switch from seqential to contact firing.

Don't laugh! I usually borrow a Harbor Freight nailer that belongs to a good friend. Between him, me and several other borrowers, we have shot a few thousand nails through the gun with no problems. How much did it cost? I think he gave the princely sum of $89. It is the model that can use several type of nails. No more often than I use a nailer, I would definitely buy the Harbor Freight.

Art

Framing Nailer

I don't know the specific model of mine (been about 6 months since it's been in my hands), but I have a Paslode that I have never had an issue with. Then again I have a Hitachi coil roofing nailer and a coil siding nailer & both have been flawless, inclusing letting some friends less than adept with tools borrow them. I've done 4 roofs with mine and had nail jams for reasons not the guns fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann
    Don't laugh! I usually borrow a Harbor Freight nailer that belongs to a good friend. Between him, me and several other borrowers, we have shot a few thousand nails through the gun with no problems. How much did it cost? I think he gave the princely sum of $89. It is the model that can use several type of nails. No more often than I use a nailer, I would definitely buy the Harbor Freight.

Art
    Art: I think that is their 6 in 1 model and about $129 now. Good reviews by owners. I do like the adaptability feature of diff degrees and both clipped and round headnails. No I'm not laughing. Thanks
    Jerry

I have the Paslode F-350 as well as the Impulse guns. Years of service with no problems.

I picked up a PC FR350 used at pawn shop 3+ years ago. Framed a basement, 8x8 shed and several work benches. It goes strong still and is usually rated as well as Senco, Paslode or Bostitch. Look around for slightly used to save some $$$. Usually easy to refurb seals and such.

I got a PC refurb from Amazon because it was a good deal. It works well, with the same complaint as Jim and his Senco ... same solution also I believe.
    Jay St. Peter

The PC FR350 is the big gun around here. I bought it in Sept. of 2000 and it's been a great gun for our needs around the house. We built a deck with it the first two days I owned it. Then a week later we jacked up an outbuilding and framed a whole new floor system under it. We've also done a fence job, as well as numerous other things around the place. It only gets occasional use in this home owner situation, but everytime we need it, it's ready to go. I'd buy another in an instant.
    Don

I had the Porter Cable full-head nailer, and I loved it. However, nails have been getting difficult to buy in our area. When I first bought it, six different stores carried the full-head nails, and I liked the idea of the extra holding power. However, over time, all the local stores stopped carrying the full-head nails (other than 16d common), so I had to mail order everything. I got tired of being incompatible with everyone else, so I ditched it and purchased a clipped-head nailer and am happy again.

Two points:
    * the Porter Cable models work quite well, stand up to a lot of abuse, and are reasonably priced
    * be sure to do some shopping for nails in your area to see what is easiest to get, particularly the less common nails like the ring-shank, stainless, and zinc-coated nails

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    My questions are: What is the best Framing Nailer for me (I'll be used it only ocassionally as a hobbyist)? Best place to buy?(They seem to be in the $200-300 range)? ...thanks
    Personally, if I was only going to use it occasionally, I would choose the cordless variety (no power packs required either) that shoots EVERY style of nail imagineable. The price too is very reasonable:

Paslode

I have both the Paslode F350S and the impulse cordless. Both guns take round or clipped head paper coallated (sp) nails (paslode prostrip) available at the BORGS. Never had a problem with either.